Anyone recommend a cordless router?

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Thinking about getting a small cordless router, just to use for very light work. Mostly inlays.
I like the idea of the Ryobi 18 volt one plus as I have several of the one plus tools, and 5 batteries.
Has anyone tried one of these? Or recommendation of a different one...

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
If you already have the batteries then stick with Ryobi, I use the Ridgid octane router and it's great (same company). Also discount tools direct is having a 20% off sale currently so a Ryobi one+ trim router is only $55 and you get free shipping on orders over $150. Also factory blemish tools come with full warranties

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I have been using the Milwaukee cordless router. Works great. Has dust collection attachment if desired.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Wanted to add that Home Depot usually has several of the mentioned models on display. For me, the Milwaukee felt best in the hand- nothing against the others, just what I liked. Probably worth a trip to get a feel for some of the options and weigh cost.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
If you’re committed with that many batteries, you pretty much have to stick with them.

I hope Ryobi has fixed their battery charging problem. From what I read, it’s a pretty silly thing for them to allow to happen. I got rid of the few Ryobi tools I had because if that. Yeah, the hack does work, and the batteries are cheap, and I heard Ryobi will replace the batteries, but for how long? Mine were just over a year and they wouldn’t replace the.

I picked up an M18 combo set on sale through HD and have since bought the cordless router. Far superior tools in comparison to Ryobi IMO.

Now the only “green” in my shop is the expensive “green” stuff ;-)

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Hmmm. I have M12 and Makita 18V tools. Had not thought about a router as it is one of those actual high power tools.
Ryobi is really light weight. Compare specs against the comparable others. Ridgid are much better tools, but they find a way to not stand behind their battery replacement. I just buy third party. Very happy with the M12, only went Makita for 18V as I liked the trim saw and multi too better.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
+2 on Ryobi, with a caveat...

I've had one of these routers for a while. As mentioned above, for what it is it performs well. Mine has always had an issue with the depth adjustment slipping. No more than I use mine, I just check it from time to time in use. If I used it more I'd address and resolve the issue.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Batteries do make a lot of these tools off-balance. Multi-tool, angle grinder etc. Even my new Makita drill and driver I want to get smaller batteries for.

I saw one had a tilting base. What would one use a tilting base for in a free-hand router? Maybe I can see it in a table.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I haven't bought a cordless router, but I think the major determinate would be for which brand I have the most batteries.

skyline933

Jim
Corporate Member
Batteries do make a lot of these tools off-balance. Multi-tool, angle grinder etc. Even my new Makita drill and driver I want to get smaller batteries for.
I saw one had a tilting base. What would one use a tilting base for in a free-hand router? Maybe I can see it in a table.

Good point, if you look at Makita product photos, they don't show the battery, or when they do, it's in a light grey color. Unless you're using it vertical, on the base, they seem very off-balance

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
For good balance and easy operating I really like the Bosch cordless. It's only 12 volt. So, not for heavy work. But for round over, flush trim or inlay, it,s great.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Good point, if you look at Makita product photos, they don't show the battery, or when they do, it's in a light grey color. Unless you're using it vertical, on the base, they seem very off-balance
The light gray color is only to indicate that there is no battery included (Price is for tool only), but this is where it goes...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS