Anyone priced cherry plywood lately?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The Hardware Store 3/4" cherry plywood: A face $119, B face $99.

I don't know what the A face or B face means exactly but I guess it's pretty good cabinet grade. :confused:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
If you are reasonably close to Charlotte you might check Wurth Industries. They are near the airport. I've purchased hardwood from them and they were fair on the price and easy to work with. You can pick out exact boards you want. But their main business is sheet goods.

FlyingRon

Ron
I got some nice cherry from Rick (woodworking / moulding source) in Mooresville a while back. Of course, what he has comes and goes with his main business needs.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I will have to look into Wurth in Charlotte. I've always heard people say how expensive they are. I hope their prices are competitive with others. I don't live that far from them. I travel to Hickory now.

Red

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I will have to look into Wurth in Charlotte. I've always heard people say how expensive they are. I hope their prices are competitive with others. I don't live that far from them. I travel to Hickory now.

Red

What do you pay for cherry plywood in Hickory? Or plywood in general?

zapdafish

New User
Steve
wow, capitol city lumber in raleigh online store has it for 146 a sheet if you buy it in a 5 pack, A-2 grade

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I’ve heard Wurth’s pricing is drastically different for contractor/professional versus hobbiest, so if not the former you might find a friend that is the latter!

Reactions: red

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Plywood is expensive, especially the quality grade panels. That said, I would resist the temptation of purchasing ply at HD/Lowes...the last plywood I bought from either store delaminated and/or was full of voids - it was cheaper than elsewhere, but it was Cheap!

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Plywood is expensive, especially the quality grade panels. That said, I would resist the temptation of purchasing ply at HD/Lowes...the last plywood I bought from either store delaminated and/or was full of voids - it was cheaper than elsewhere, but I was Cheap!
Yep! Plywood is a "you get what you pay for item" I did go to Wurth and chose the "Import" and the face veneer was so thin you could read the newspaper through it after it delaminated as it was being cross cut! I had to tape every cut on that piece of plywood.

I found some the other day looking for "something that would work...." and I promptly pulled it out of the stack and it went with the trash man this morning!

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I have bought many units of plywood from every vendor around over the years. I believe it is all generally trending down hill. Lately I have been into Baltic Birch or I bounce around with maple or birch for general purpose stuff. At the current prices for cherry ply, just design projects with real hardwood or pick something different.

Reactions: red

JimD

Jim
Senior User
The dresser I just finished was made from Sande plywood from Home Depot. I wished I'd looked harder for birch or maple when I put the paint on it but it will be OK. No issue with delamination and not many voids. I have purchased half a dozen sheets of a pine plywood made in Chile there too and been fairly happy with it. I used it for shop stuff and one painted cabinet. Home Depot also sells "purebond" formaldihyde free plywood. I've used a sheet or two and found it to be OK. The oak and other hardwood veneer they have is rotary cut which looks different from boards. But other than appearance, I didn't have issues with it.

I am a bit leery about plywood from the big box store too but I've found a few types that work OK for much of what I do.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
OP is in FL. I don't anything about buying plywood in FL.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS