Anyone 'made' Cole jaws and happy with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have a Nova G3 chuck and want/need a better way to grip 'finished' bowls to turn the bottom. Has anyone made Cole jaws that they actually use? Or do you break down in the end and just buy them?

Henry W

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Anyone 'made' a Longworth chuck and happy with it?

Same question really, but the Longworth style looks quicker to use and maybe similar effort to make (compared to Cole jaws).

So, has anyone 'made' a Longworth chuck and are you happy with it?

I have a Nova G3 scroll chuck to hold it, and a 16" swing on the lathe.

Henry W

Roy G

Roy
Senior User

Many years ago, I made a Longworth chuck and use it for awhile. It didn't really work for me, because it's difficult to tighten it sufficiently to hold the piece and then lock it in place. Cole jaws would be more positive, I would think.

Roy G

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member

I agree with Roy G. I made a 20" Longworth Chuck a couple of years ago. I've used it a few times, but don't feel comfortable with the tension on the piece I am turning. I was turning a 14" feature ring for a vase yesterday (In the Longworth Chuck) that I had spent 18-20 hours making. I had a small catch and the ring came flying out in 5 pieces. My fault, but I don't think it would have happened with Cole jaws. I have the set of 12" Cole jaws on a Oneway Talon chuck and plan to make a 20" set of my own version to replace the Longworth chuck. I've never had a problem with tension with the Cole jaws.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Duh - I have made one of those.

But I must admit that i was not particularly happy with how WELL i made one, or how well it held the bowls. Centering seemed to be my biggest issue.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I made a set about two yrs ago and use it quite a bit,cost me about 20.00 to make it compaired to well over a 100.00 to buy it.and mine will hold anything from around 6" to 14" it takes a few min to mount pieces on it,but well worth it IMHO BTW it took me about two hrs to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS