Anyone know where I can have threads cut?

Ralrick

New User
Rick
I have an aluminum pole for a table. I'd like to find a machine shop that could shorten and then re-thread the end. Anyone know of someone or a business that might be able to do this type of work in Raleigh? The pole is about 2.75" diameter and I'd like it cut down from 17" to 11". Let me know. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0308(1).jpg
    IMG_0308(1).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0304(1).jpg
    IMG_0304(1).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 214

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Sorry I can't help with your question, but out of curiosity- are the threads aprt of the aluminum pole or are they an insert?

gator

George
Corporate Member
If you don't have any luck in Raleigh you might try Prometals Inc in Oxford, NC. iI have used him a couple of times over the years.

George

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Sorry I can't help with your question, but out of curiosity- are the threads aprt of the aluminum pole or are they an insert?
It’s part of the aluminum pole. There might be a sleeve on the outside (I can’t tell if it is one piece or two) that has the vertical grooves but that should be easy to remove once the pole is shortened.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Both ends of the 17" long pole are threaded; one female thread coupling at the bottom and a male thread at the other end.

Just curious, why do you want to shorten the pole by 6"?

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Both ends of the 17" long pole are threaded; one female thread coupling at the bottom and a male thread at the other end.

Just curious, why do you want to shorten the pole by 6"?
Jeff - yes, there are two poles and the table was advertised as being Bar Height or Table Height depending on using one pole or both. What I didn't realize is that the two heights are Bar Height and Coffee Table Height. We have been using it at bar height but are now moving the table and want to use it at traditional table height with standard chairs . . . . so that is a long way of saying I want the table 6"s shorter and the only way to do that is use both poles but one needs to be cut down (or find another shorter pole with the same threads).

RickR

Rick
Senior User
If shops are reluctant to do this smallish job or their price is out of line you might consider removing 6 inches from the center of the pole and splicing it bach together using an internal sleeve and a filled epoxy like JB Weld. This would preserve both threaded ends and is amenable to DIY.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
If shops are reluctant to do this smallish job or their price is out of line you might consider removing 6 inches from the center of the pole and splicing it bach together using an internal sleeve and a filled epoxy like JB Weld. This would preserve both threaded ends and is amenable to DIY.
That is a great idea - not sure why I didn't think of it . . . . . I'll see what these other places say but this is a great second option. Thanks.

Jim Roche

New User
jim
+1 for Hamilton Machines. They do all kthat nds of 1 off type of work.

Rick,
Hamilton Machine Works

908 Withers Rd, Raleigh, NC 27603

919) 779-6892

Ralrick

New User
Rick
what is the knob on the pole for? It might be holding a threaded insert in place.
There is a knob on each length of the pole to tighten up against an umbrella pole if you are using one. I’m bringing the pole by Prometals for them to look at it tomorrow. Hopefully they’re able to do it. If not, I may go for cutting and using a sleeve insert as suggested. This board is great!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Rick, if the pole is 2.75" in dis, you could cut it and use a suitable piece of wood as an insert. A piece of oak about 2" in diameter should be plenty strong for your purposes.

Roy G

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Did you get it done? I was thinking....if the threaded part is a full-length insert, the knobs used to tighten an umbrella in place would have to go through that insert so IF the threaded part is an insert, the knobs could be what is preventing you from removing it. You could try removing the knob(s) entirely and seeing if you can rotate/remove the threaded part. Just a thought....

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Bigger shops always beg off on jobs like that in my experience. My go to guy for machining is a one man shop in a basement who's always happy to take my money even for $30 jobs, paid in cash. I'd look for the little guy. Sry don't have a rec for you though.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
My go to guy for machining is a one man shop in a basement who's always happy to take my money even for $30 jobs, paid in cash. I'd look for the little guy. Sry don't have a rec for you though.

Sorry you don't live closer. I've got a lathe in my back yard shop that would be perfect. Richard is right. Some guy with a small hobby shop would be perfect. Chances are he'll be able to tell real quick if there are any problems cutting the shaft and turning new threads. Some times the way things are made, this isn't as easy as one would like, particularly if they're metric threads rather than the inch variety that so many home shop lathes like mine can only do.

1 lathe - 1.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS