Anyone know a good furniture touch up person?

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
A friend of mine collects these Jack Daniel's cases, and this one was damaged during a recent move. The finish is lacquer, and while it looks black in the photo, it actually has a bluish sheen when viewed in some angles. The case is worth over $1000, and I'm certainly not capable of repairing this finish. Does anyone know of a good refinisher/touch-up man or woman who can repair this damage? My friend lives here in Eastern NC, but I think he'd go elsewhere for a professional repair. Here are some photos of the damage.
IMG950502.jpg

IMG950503.jpg
IMG950504.jpg

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
A friend of mine collects these Jack Daniel's cases, and this one was damaged during a recent move. The finish is lacquer, and while it looks black in the photo, it actually has a bluish sheen when viewed in some angles. The case is worth over $1000, and I'm certainly not capable of repairing this finish. Does anyone know of a good refinisher/touch-up man or woman who can repair this damage? My friend lives here in Eastern NC, but I think he'd go elsewhere for a professional repair. Here are some photos of the damage.View attachment 201373

View attachment 201374View attachment 201375

I know an excellent refinisher/restorer in Ohio. I haven't had contact with him in over 30 years. I could try to track him down if you like.
Bob

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I know an excellent refinisher/restorer in Ohio. I haven't had contact with him in over 30 years. I could try to track him down if you like.
Bob
Thanks Bob. I doubt he would want to go all the way to Ohio, but I'll check with him to make sure.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
That looks to be a little more than finish damage. I’m afraid it would not be a seamless repair. I’ll ask around.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
That almost looks like plastic rather than wood to me. With the uneven chipping on the bottom right. I could very well be wrong though. It's a very bad gouge at any rate, right into the underlying insulation. As Richard mentioned, it will be hard to seamlessly repair.

PS. Glad to see you back posting actively Bob.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
That type of case starts around $1,500. It might be worthwhile to contact Jack Daniel's directly to see who made the case for them - that company may know who would be best to repair.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I'd take a totally different approach. Treat it like a fiberglass repair and fill the damaged area with bondo or resin and blend in the finish with an airbrush. The key would be to find a good airbrush artist to do the blend. I'd start looking by checking in with some quality car or boat custom shops.

JonB

Jon
User
It's a little difficult to tell from the pictures but it looks like the case was made from MDF and wrapped, it's not really a finish at all. The white area looks like paper, could have been printed with a gloss UV coating to give it that shine and then glued/ laminated to the case. I could be totally wrong but I've worked in printing for many years and that's what I see.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
It's a little difficult to tell from the pictures but it looks like the case was made from MDF and wrapped, it's not really a finish at all. The white area looks like paper, could have been printed with a gloss UV coating to give it that shine and then glued/ laminated to the case. I could be totally wrong but I've worked in printing for many years and that's what I see.
Jon,
Looking at the photos closely, I think you may be right. No other explanation for that layer of white that I can think of.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I don't know what they call it know, there used to be a fiberglass sealer DP3 I think it was called. They used it on fiberglass cars to seal the repairs as it set up a primable surface and prevented repair painting from "flashing" that is what that looks like to me.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS