Anyone Installed a Riser Block on a Delta Bandsaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpetty

New User
Hugh
I'm installing the Riser Block on my new Delta Bandsaw (I already posted a gloat, so this shouldn't count as double dipping :lol: ) and run into a slight problem.

The power cord won't reach the motor. The instructions show you how to route the power cord when installing the block, but it still doesn't reach. Anyone else out there had that problem. I can drill new holes in the upright and move the switch down... but that would put two exposed holes in my shiny new Bandsaw (okay that does count as another gloat :lol: :lol: ). My other option is to contact Delta and see if they have a longer cord that they can send. Anyone have any other suggestions?

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
The cord will reach if you route it just right. Just KIDDING! It's too short! :lol:

Yep. I posted a few chapters on my experience with the Delta 28-475X, 14 bandsaw with riser block. Link here http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=988

The cord is too short. The cord will not reach. It is only about two inches too short. If they KNOW the cord is too short (they do, you'll find out they already have a solution when you make your FIRST call to Delta tech support) you may wonder why a cord is not included in the riser kit? At least I did.

Assuming the rest of the setup goes well and you like the saw (odds are you will!) simply move the power box down and drill new holes in the frame. Won't hurt anything. Or call tech support and they'll send you a solution.

After looking at the Rikon I must say the Delta appears to be a better-made saw. Knowing what I do now, I probably should have taken the time and tuned the saw. I really like the blade guide block design on the Delta.

Please let me know if your's is okay. Maybe I'll try another one with 10 percent off.

Chuck

hpetty

New User
Hugh
Chuck,

I missed your post before I bought mine, but maybe that's a good thing :lol: . Except for the cord issue I'm very pleased.

I still have to do the final tuning but I did install a blade and turn mine on this morning. Right out of the box it ran very smooth. I can't get back to tuning it until tomorrow, but I'll do a final tune-up and write a more complete review very soon.

Thanks for the info on the cord. I'll probably go ahead and drill the holes rather than wait for a Dela solution to be shipped. Maybe nobody will notice them :lol: :lol: .

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
I'm glad you missed my post and got a good Delta saw. I believe maybe mine was from a bad batch or something. Thousands of those Deltas have been sold.

After looking at the 18 Rikon I believe the Delta to be a better machine for one size fits all...but the Rikon wins hands down if mostly resaw work is done.

Everything's a compromise, huh?

BTW, we would have thought pics would be posted by now...if a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it....

Great double score.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
It's been awhile, but I remember figuring a way to make the cord reach. As soon as I get chance, I'll go down and see what I did.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Sorry, I forgot about this. The cord is too short, but I found a trick that worked for me.

shortCord.jpg

I removed the dust collection chute. Plugged the 2 cords together and then replaced the dust collection chute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS