Anyone heard of white cedar

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
So, I went to my friendly neighborhood sawyer this weekend to pickup a few bf of red cedar. While I was there he asked me if I would be interested in any "white cedar" being the woodaholic that I am I said sure , even though I had no idea what it was. Anyone have an idea what this wood is? Smells like cedar when you cut it but not as strong a smell. Could it be some type of cypress? I bought a few boards to try may be my new favorite wood. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 159
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 167
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 168

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
After further research I have answered my own question, it is indeed white cedar I had just not heard of it. Apparently it is a good rot resistant wood and I got a score at probably fifty 1x6 boards for about sixty bucks they are 9-10 feet long.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I've heard of Atlantic white cedar for boats. If that's what it is, should be less pone to splitting than red cedar

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Boats and King's Trees. King's Trees were marked out in the early part of English rule in this country. Because they were tall, and straight, the Royal Navy wanted them for masts on sailing ships, thus the name "Kings Trees."

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
We always referred to it as northern white cedar. I went down to the lumberyard to buy some lumber for a new garage workshop in 1967. I got over 1000b' for $100.00 then. It came in on R.R. cars from Canada in those days. Boards were all fairly clear and measured 3/4"x12"x12'. I wish I could get a deal like that again at twice the price.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
We always referred to it as northern white cedar. I went down to the lumberyard to buy some lumber for a new garage workshop in 1967. I got over 1000b' for $100.00 then. It came in on R.R. cars from Canada in those days. Boards were all fairly clear and measured 3/4"x12"x12'. I wish I could get a deal like that again at twice the price.

FYI.
Northern white cedar (Thuja occidentalis) and Atlantic white cedar (Chamaecyparis thyoides) are different species although they look similar. Northern white cedar is not found in NC.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Thank you for the correct information Jeff, I had no idea there were 2 species of the white cedar.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
After further research I have answered my own question, it is indeed white cedar I had just not heard of it. Apparently it is a good rot resistant wood and I got a score at probably fifty 1x6 boards for about sixty bucks they are 9-10 feet long.

About 250 bf for $60?

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
I was estimating the number of boards. I have since counted and I have 37 1x6x9' boards. The person I bought them from did not know what they were for sure, when he got the trees he was looking for red cedar. He asked me if I had any use for them and I didn't know what they were either so the price was cheap.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Who is your "friendly neighborhood sawyer"? Next time I'm headed out east I may hit him up for some.

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
Sorry, I took all he had. I don't think he will cut anymore, and if he finds out what he has he may not choose to sell me anymore wood at all. If he lets me know he has more I will post on here to see if anyone is interested.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS