Anyone have the Thein Baffle in their DC vs. in a separator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I am slowly becoming obsessed with DC and eventually I know that my obsession will lead to an over-powered, over-sized 240V cyclone but in the meantime I want to optimize what I have. My shop is a 2-car garage that occasionally needs to accommodate 1-car so my setup is portable and moved from machine to machine.

I currently have the popular HF 2HP DC with a pleated Wynn filter on top and an unobstructed 5" inlet. I am looking at building a Thein baffle and for space / time reasons I am considering putting the baffle directly into the current DC vs. building a separator can and having to deal with another shop object and the airflow efficiency loss.

Questions for those who have the baffle in their DC:
1) how often do you have the clean the filter?
2) since there is a baffle in the way, do you need to remove the baffle to properly clean the filter?
3) how long do you maintain peak suction with the baffle setup (minutes, hours, weeks)?

Thanks

eyekode

New User
Salem
I don't have one but have read tons. The debate boils down to if it is better to separate before the DC impeller. Separation before the impeller helps keep big chunks from hitting the impeller.

But this argument doesnt hold much water to me. When I build one it will be in the inlet ring to save valuable floor space.

I know there are quite a few good builds on sawmillcreek for reference. Or better yet go to Phil T's forum. Lots of good builds there.
Salem

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
That is my plan as well for the same reason; I would just hate to find that I need to remove the baffle every bag change to clean the pleats out...

timf67

New User
Tim
I have a Thein separator in a drum before my blower. I don't have a DC after the separator, just a filter bag on the outlet of my blower. The only issue I have is when I use it on my drum sander, it doesn't do fine dust well so my filter bag fills up quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS