Anyone have the Dewalt 735 Planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
I thought about this planer, but it seems reviews are less than great. Let me know if any of you have this planer and what you think about it?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I got one about 2 months ago (rebuilt) from King Tools at Amazon for $359.00 including shipping. Took 10 days to arrive. Came in with the plastic handle broken and the carriage really stiff. Carriage problem was the bicycle chain too tight. Replacement handle came in about 3 weeks. Chip/dust control is great. My old Ryobi is outside use only!

This machine will really bog down on anything greater than 1/16" (oak, walnut), but it planes that very smoothly. However, I bought it for the footprint, dust control and price. And when it arrived, it smelled and looked new. I've bought that and a router, both rebuilt, and been satisfied with price and product. Wait time was 2-3 weeks on both. But since I figure that everything I buy is 'used' 5 minutes after I turn it on, I'll keep the $$$!

If you'd like to see/run it, just drop by. Call first! Sorry, just realized that you're in Charlotte.

Joe

Monty

New User
Monty
What reviews are you seeing that are not good? Online? Is there an article somewhere? I'd be interested in seeing what the criticism was.

I have read the snippets on Amazon about this planer... is that what you're talking about? I have not used this planer, but all I've ever heard about it have been good reviews. Everything from 3-knives to wider bed to better dust extraction with a blower. All I can say is, if I had know about that refurb deal on these, I wouldn't be the owner of a Delta 22-580 today! (also, that flip top cabinet I just made "coincidentally" happens to be wide enough to hold a DW735... "just in case!" ;-) )

Of course the Rigid is also good, but I personally don't see that it has any real advantage over the DW.

Now you're 2 cents richer! :-D

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Reviews at amazon, and epinions. Also a couple other sites I looked also. Seems like everyone has trouble with the blades wearing out really fast, and almost everyone has had a sprocket break. It also seems there is a problem with infeed when using it on the higher speed. Compared to most other planers its hard to justify buying it due to the reviews. Seems like a real hassle.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
I also posted on woodnet. It seems like people who "like" their planer have had some of these same problems. I don't understand that. They all say the knifes don't last very long.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I'm in the same boat Brandon. I'm looking at the 735 and reading the same reviews. I started hunting for carbide blades for it, but they don't seem to exist either from DeWalt of aftermarket. Also, I've read ALOT of complaints about the refurbished ones arriving almost completely destroyed from a combo of UPS/USPS and inadequate packaging.
Still not sure what I'm going to go with yet. I may just settle for a home depot Ryobi for now at $200. It doesn't seem all that bad. Plus someday down the road (read between the lines - when I actually have more skills and it makes a difference) I figure I can use the Ryobi for rough work/first passes and a second, nicer planer (DW735?) for finer work/final passes. I figure that'll help with blade life.

HardRock

New User
Gil
I got the 735 last year around Christmas, I don't think the current ridgid models were out then or either I overlooked them. At the time, Lowe's had a 10 or 20% off sale on the power tools, so I went ahead and made the jump. I was sold on the two speed feed and three blade cutter head.

I've only used it a few times so far, just playing really to see how my lumber was turning out, maybe having run 20 or so 10 to 12 foot, 8 to 10 inch oak and popular boards through it, oh and a couple treated 2X6's too.

Results are nice finish with no noticible snipe (not noticible at my experience level anyway)....I definitely plan to get the extension tables and to set up a longer support rest of some type before I get to serious thicknessing. Chip extraction has been great and the built in blower actually chews up the chips finer than usual, chips from this unit look like chain saw chips, not the typical curlys from most planners. A big benefit of that is less tendency to clog the dust collector stuff, but more messy if you just blow them out in the open.
It could use more power, but then what couldn't?

I initially had infeed problems, but it turned out to be build up on the rolls from the treated wood I had run through it. keep the rolls clean and it works great.

lbmallett

New User
Larry Mallett
I've had the DeWalt 735 planer for about 6 months and use it on a regular basis. The blades remain sharp. After getting some experience (and reading the owner manual) I have been able to consistently mill stock with no tearout or snipe. I have the extension tables and I consider them a necessity. In the "finish" mode it produces an extremely smooth cut that is almost ready for staining and finishing. I'm very happy with it and have not experienced the problem with blades going dull quickly.

A caveat. I'm new at this woodworking business and this is the first planer I have ever owned. A year ago, I didn't even know what a planer was, let alone a jointer.

Monty

New User
Monty
I hate to drag up this old topic, but I just stumbled across a review of 13" planers that may be helpful here: link (pdf)

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS