Anyone have some seasoned Persimmon wood available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

james condino

New User
james
I've heard a number of discussion about Persimmon being close to a true ebony and having very heavy, dark heartwood. As a luthier, I'm constantly using exotic woods from all over the world; I'd like to build a series of mandolins using local woods. I've got incredible local maple and nice seasoned red spruce, so I'm about 90% there. Does anyone know where I can get some nice grade heartwood Persimmon to use for the fingerboard and smaller parts that are traditionally non-domestic ebony?

Thanks for your help,

j.
www.condino.com

eyekode

New User
Salem
Cool idea. There is a sawyer locally (saw4u?) that sells persimmon. But I have never seen it with enough black heart wood to make anything significant out of. Note that I am not an expert on persimmon by any stretch of the imagination so don't let me discourage you :).

Good luck!
Salem

TedAS

New User
Ted
James,
I can't help you with the Persimmon. But I want to compliment you on your work! I took a peak at your web page and was blown away by the masterpieces you have created. I am a luthier want to be. WOW nice work!

james condino

New User
james
Thanks for the kind words Ted. That website is actually close to 8 years old, so the work these days is a long ways from what you see there. Wait until you see what I'm going to do with the persimmon....

j.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
I have some narrow boards a friend gave me but none with the heart bigger than 1/2".Ted was correct on his compliment of your masterpieces on your website,amazing work.Can't wait to see some persimmon.
Tony

mlp2147

New User
Mike
Darn fine work on that site! Love the mandolins and guitars!

Mike

Thanks for the kind words Ted. That website is actually close to 8 years old, so the work these days is a long ways from what you see there. Wait until you see what I'm going to do with the persimmon....

j.

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
James, Jerry Grant, here and I'm in Asheville. I have a piece of persimmon that has air dried in my shop for about 5 years. it is approximately 5" x 6" x 10' long and I would love to share it with you if it is something you can use. I would love to see how you build an instrument sometime also. Call me @ 775-8255 cell or 274-7084 x 104.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS