Anyone have pecan, cherry or hickory firewood?

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
Hi All,
Looking for pecan, cherry or hickory logs/branches for my offset smoker. I'm located in West Cary. Does not need to be cut or seasoned, but if it is that would be great. Please PM me if you have anything.
I might be inclined to return the favor with some smoked food...............

Attachments

• Brisket.jpg
    Brisket.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 137
  • Pork Butt.jpg
    Pork Butt.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 124
  • Ribs.JPG
    Ribs.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 133
  • More brisket cuts.jpg
    More brisket cuts.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 122
  • Brisket cuts.jpg
    Brisket cuts.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 137
  • smoker firebox.JPG
    smoker firebox.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 129
  • smoker.JPG
    smoker.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 129

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You can go to American Woodyards in Raleigh and buy hickory/pecan.

I didn't find much about your cooker at the Shirley website. I was just curious about them. Also, take a look at the videos about "barbecuing with Franklin" in Austin, TX.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I have a cherry and a pecan that I plan to cut down. I haven't done it yet because of the heat. I am planning to use both for firewood next winter. You can have some for free if you don't mind the hour drive. If you want it I can take the time to cut the trees when you come. You won't have to help with the cutting, but you can have all the limb pieces you want. I also have several buckets full of apple wood pieces from small limbs that I intended to use when cooking on the grill but I haven't gotten around to using them. The pieces are about 2".

Our grill sits under a large pecan tree. When cooking pork or chicken we ad twigs from the tree which seem to fall daily. They give the meat a nice smoky flavor.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
You can go to American Woodyards in Raleigh and buy hickory/pecan.

I didn't find much about your cooker at the Shirley website. I was just curious about them. Also, take a look at the videos about "barbecuing with Franklin" in Austin, TX.

Thanks Jeff, I'll look into it. Ive seen the Franklin videos, they are very good.
The cookers are handmade by a family owned company out of Alabama. Extremely well built with an eye for detail and great craftsmanship. If you appreciate that, which most of here do, it's a no brainer if you are looking for an offset.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
I have a cherry and a pecan that I plan to cut down. I haven't done it yet because of the heat. I am planning to use both for firewood next winter. You can have some for free if you don't mind the hour drive. If you want it I can take the time to cut the trees when you come. You won't have to help with the cutting, but you can have all the limb pieces you want. I also have several buckets full of apple wood pieces from small limbs that I intended to use when cooking on the grill but I haven't gotten around to using them. The pieces are about 2".

Our grill sits under a large pecan tree. When cooking pork or chicken we ad twigs from the tree which seem to fall daily. They give the meat a nice smoky flavor.

Thanks Rob, let me know and I will be happy to help as well.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I've got some hickory I don't plan to use and some scraps you can go through if you like. make the trip. we're overdue for a shop visit.;)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Sounds good Fred! I'll give you a call later today.
Gonzalo
oops. looked through the stash this morning while getting ready to spray some lacquer and the hickory turned out to be pecan. either way I aint using it if it will work for your smoker.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
oops. looked through the stash this morning while getting ready to spray some lacquer and the hickory turned out to be pecan. either way I aint using it if it will work for your smoker.

Hickory is essentially the same as Pecan and are often put together in the same bundle at a lumber dealer.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
That would work great Fred.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
(contractor) Bags of cherry shavings I give to the neighbor for his chickens. If you want cherry shavings, I'm currently in production!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS