Anyone have experience with Delta 28-350 BS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxracer

New User
Dan
I have a lead on a Rockwell-Delta 28-350 20" bandsaw. Wanted to ask if anyone has one, has had their hands on one or knows about them.

The man is asking $600 for it. Says it's in ex condition, but I have not gone to look yet.

I've been pining over a band saw for a while now and just last night was thinking of pulling the trigger on a grizzly G0513x2 17" or the g0514x 19".

So now again I'm torn between saving a little $$ on an "old iron" machine or paying a little more for a new "known" warrantied machine. :help:

Any advice or info on the saw (or purchase in general for that matter) is appreciated here. I figure I'll go take a look either way but don't want to buy old iron that will just be headache if I can avoid it.

Thanks
Dan

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The Rockwell-Delta badge would put it back in the 1970s?

I can't imagine anything new being as well made. Bearings and most parts should be available. Check it out and if it cuts straight now it should last another 40 years easily.

Here's a parts sketch and list.

http://www.mikestools.com/download/...-Inch-Wood-Cutting-Band-Saw-Old-Style-BS3.pdf

Mike's tools stocks parts

Old Woodworking machinery page.
http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=3329

Wish I had room for an old HOSS like this.

sully32

New User
Shawn
I have a 28-350 that was built in '64, spent its life in our local High School woodshop. I can't say enough about how well built a machine this is. I did a "partial" restore including new bearings, tires, grinding the guide blocks flat plus some odds and ends that were missing or wrong.

Hard lesson learned: If you replace the tires, get them from Delta. I tried a set of "ebay" urethane tires and the blade would never track consistently. Bit the bullet, bought factory tires. Not only are they urethane instead of the rubber I was expecting but now the blade tracks perfectly with the top wheel simply set parallel to the bottom wheel - no adjustment needed.

Most of the parts are still available through the Delta Rockwell parts network *but* - if you replace the bearings buy them from a local bearing distributor. I replaced all 4 shaft and both of the thrust bearings for about the cost of one bearing from Delta.

Parts: http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/servicenet_home.aspx

It was well worth the time and money to bring this machine back to life. Smooth running, tracks perfectly and the experience taught me a ton about bandsaws.

Cheers,
Shawn

Last edited:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
$600 seems a bit high to me.

Depends where you're coming from. I happen to know that the 28-350 is the modern day equivalance of a $5000.00 plus bandsaw in quality. A couple of years back I found two at Dempsey's in Richmond VA. He wanted $1200.00 for the pair. One was three phase, both needed the $75.00 tires, bearings, guide tune up, tire crowning, belts, and one needed a pulley. I handed him the cash right then and there and came back with my Safari van and collected both of them.

One went unrestored to a friend. He loaded it on a trailer. When unloading it, the saw fell over on the ground. He called asking what could be wrong. Answer: Nothing. Set it up and get on with the restoration. It made a believer out of him.

The guides are easy to adjust and are similar to the old Delta 14's, only on steroids. Consider: Two tangent circles give how much contact? Two 5/8" blocks of hardened steel give how much contact? Also the side blocks don't emboss the blade with gummy sawdust if you're resawing or busting out green bowl blanks.

Put a total of $1200.00 into one and you'll still be about 40¢ on the dollar value. The fact that other sellers call their product a "bandaw" doesn't necessarily mean its the same thing.

$600.00 is a fair price. Getting it cheaper is also nice, but having a machine of that quality level in your shop is priceless (up to $5000.00, that is :))

In the old Safari
BScarry1.jpg

BScarry2.jpg

If you're transporting only one
28-350a.jpg

Back insides. Everything is adjustable
DEBSold-1.jpg

upper axle bracket assembly
DEBSold-2.jpg

Upper axle bracket, outside
debsold5.jpg

Lower guide
DEBSold-3.jpg

Upper guide
DEBSold-4.jpg

mxracer

New User
Dan
I guess I should also post the fact that I did get it.

I posted it in another thread here... http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f31/old-iron-gloat-25472/

I've actually not done a thing to it yet, been using it too much. :gar-Bi

I hope to do some maintenance on it this winter and get it humming like new.

BTW Bob, nice to see you here. I'll be applying your advice from OWWM as soon as I slow down having fun with it.

Dan

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I guess I should also post the fact that I did get it.
Dan

Hmmmm. Missed that. I'm sorta new here.

Lessee, the motor is a "1" hp? 15.6 amps at 110 volts these days could be interpreted as about anything. Its at least a 1.5 by todays standards. The tires could use a little crowning, but that's about it. A couple of $3.00 6203LL bearings from Accurate is all you need for the back guides. Those side guides are very hard high carbon steel. A little regrinding and you'll be ready for another 30 or so years.

I can see why you haven't bothered to restore. Its working as it, but a crown, back guide bearings, side guides reground, and maybe a new set of bearings in the main part and you'll be good to go another 30 or so or unless you get a lead on a 36 you really like.

If you remove the top wheel and turn the top shaft by hand you'll see the impending need for bearings unless someone has already been there. You can't tell the bearings are going bad with the wheel on because of the momentum of the wheel.

I guess you've already found out why I'm very encouraging about that*saw.

mxracer

New User
Dan
Hmmmm. Missed that. I'm sorta new here.

That wasn't directed at you Bob. I just realized that I had posted in the other thread that I had gotten it and never followed up here to say that I got it.

I appreciate all the information you have shared on the saw, here and on OWWM. :eek:ccasion1 Trust me, I have my list made from your suggestions. :wsmile:
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS