Anyone have a Wen 4227T drill press?

Millmarks

Doug
Corporate Member
We're looking at replacing our old drill press and have been looking at the Wen 4227T floor model. Have any of you had any experience with one?

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
I have not worked with that particular WEN product but I have been extremely happy with the other WEN products purchased. I have their router, 10" band saw and hand planer. Their 10" bandsaw is actually higher rated than most name brand tools like Rikon and Jet in that category.

WEN makes some quality products overall and I like them personally. Below is a link to a review video from Shop Nation who still has a WEN 4225 drill press in his shop years later and his shop has exploded in function, business, etc. For the price this drill press should do everything you need, best bang for the buck. The other link is to reviews of the 4225 as well, haven't seen any specific to the 4225T but I imagine it will remain the same.

I would be willing to buy this drill press if I were in the market for a stand up floor model.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Can't speak on the 4227T, but I do have a 4214T.

I've only got a few hours of runtime on it, but I've been happy so far. If there's a gripe to be had, it's the relatively rough finish, but that's to be expected at this price point

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
WEN makes some quality products overall and I like them personally. Below is a link to a review video from Shop Nation who still has a WEN 4225 drill press in his shop years later and his shop has exploded in function, business, etc. For the price this drill press should do everything you need, best bang for the buck. The other link is to reviews of the 4225 as well, haven't seen any specific to the 4225T but I imagine it will remain the same.]
I like the features of the 4225T, however it been discontinued. If you know where to find one, please let me know. I sent an email to Wen and this is their response.
“that drill press has been discontinued, I do believe that we might have some of those larger presses in manufacturing, but we don't yet have an arrival time for those new models.”

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
I like the features of the 4225T, however it been discontinued. If you know where to find one, please let me know. I sent an email to Wen and this is their response.
“that drill press has been discontinued, I do believe that we might have some of those larger presses in manufacturing, but we don't yet have an arrival time for those new models.”

Looks like the only model currently available is the 4227 series which is the upgrade to the 4225 by all appearances. Has a few cosmetic differences but doesn't look all that different by comparison. More expensive but that is also the reality of everything we want to buy right now. Best bet to find a 4225 is online auctions or used tool sites.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
The 4227 doesn’t have the variable speed control and digital speed display. I would like to get away from changing belts to control the speed. Nova has it all but way too much money for me.

Millmarks

Doug
Corporate Member
Thanks for all of your responses. It makes it much easier to go with the Wen. Looking at so many of the other brands, either there are no ratings or else there seem to be quality and support issues.
The Nova line would be a great choice also, but a little out of our budget.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors