Anyone have a Shaper Origin

mpeele

michael
User
I been watching Shaper Origin develop for several years now and I'm thinking about buying one.
I've not seen it mentioned on forms and thought someone must have one.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Michael> I did get the Workstation. I bought in when they offered the bundle with the free extra cutters and $50 off. I got my Workstation about two weeks ago and haven't had time to use it yet. Darn work has kept me so busy I haven't had much shop time...UGH :rolleyes::rolleyes: I don't have specific plans for the workstation at this time, but I'd like to try cutting some Dovetails with it just to see what the experience is like. They've developed a calculator for Fusion360 where you just plug in the data about your pieces and number of dovetails, cutter angle, etc. The calculator generates the SVG file that you can output to the Shaper Orgin to cut the dovetails.

Neal> I really haven't been able to use it enough to be able to write a review yet. As I said above, I've been working so much it's tough to get shop time. I normally don't get any during the week so I'm left splitting my weekends between all my chores and shop time! I will say that it is an amazing experience to use it! I had bought a tail vise some time ago when I was planning to build a work bench. Then I stumbled upon a really nice bench that I couldn't pass up. Time went by and I stumbled on that tail vise tucked away that I had forgotten about. I used Fusion to design the pocket for it and outputted the SVG file for SO. I figured I enter in a large offset to make sure I erred really small when I cut the pocket. I measured the first cut and it was exactly the size of the tail vise minus the offset! I was shocked! I reset the offset leaving about 0.020" and made multiple cuts to full depth. My final cut was with the offset removed and when I test fit the tail vise, it was a mallet tap tap tap in to the bottom! OMG was I ever surprised!!! Anyway, I still have a lot to learn about the SO and the Workstation. I'll continue learning about it and when I feel I've got enough to write about, I'll post something. Or maybe my experience with the tail vise is enough? You be the judge!

mpeele

michael
User
Michael mine is scheduled for 12/3 delivery. Looks like they may have permeant $50 off + free stuff with bundle. This time around it's a free Tanos systainer.

mpeele

michael
User
Michael I sure will. Like I said earlier I've been watching the Origin develop since the first Kickstarter. I have also been a Fusion 360 user since it's beginning. Shaper Tools support within Fusion and the Origins level of development is what really pushed me over the edge. I see tremendous potential the Shaper Origin in my shop.

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
Guys, we have these at Klingspor's Woodworking Shop and best part is we have in our Asheville location a "user" that has owned one awhile. Feel free to reach out to her if you need advice etc.
Anita Shwarts - 828-687-3940 Asheville Klingspor's Woodworking Shop

mpeele

michael
User
That is a very well kept secret. I have bought all of my tools from Raleigh store and even looked at online Klingspor before I ordered. I would have preferred buying it local. You should at least put it online.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Thanks for the info Coleman! Please keep us updated on the status of the Cary store and if they're going to have live demos!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS