Anyone ever use Kilz low odor primer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I just finished doing a previously wallpapered bedroom where after scrubbing off the residual glue, I prepped the walls with the low odor Kilz oil based primer. I did crack a window about 6 inches and had a fan running but found that the lingering odor was in fact acceptable.

One thing that I didn't like was that it was pretty thin and proned to splatter easily if I was too fast with roller! :eusa_doh:

I have read somewhere that if you add a tablespoon of vanilla to a gallon of oil based paint that the odor is reduced considerably. Haven't tried that one.

(I did used a Sherwin Williams branded oil based primer on some BR cabinets a few years ago and although it is a very effective primer, it had us wanting to check into a hotel for a couple of days while it cured!)

Not sure if the additional cost of the odorless Kilz is worth it though.

Wayne

sawduster

New User
Robert
I do not like it :no: it is thin and coverage is very poor. i'm old school and prefer the original stuff with a painters mask ( if i am spraying ) and a fan. We sell both kinds here where I work and very few customers order the low odor for the same reason ( coverage )

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Piling on...

The main reason I use Kilz when I do is that it is better than most primers at covering stains. The low odor didn't do that as well and required an extra coat. Since every stain is different, I can't be sure it was apples to apples but I won't use it again.

pboro

New User
Bob
I read that Kilz is just pigmented shellac- explains why it is thin & covers sap, any oil/waterbase, etc

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I read that Kilz is just pigmented shellac- explains why it is thin & covers sap, any oil/waterbase, etc

That was my understanding also. The low odor would have to use a solvent for the shellac that isn't as noxious and I suspect it isn't as good of a solvent and doesn't have as much shellac in it. This is just a guess.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I have used both also. I will stick with the old, shellac based primer. The shellac seals the old finish and won't let it bleed through.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard

Kilz makes both oil based primers (the original Kilz is oil based) and water based primers. The original Zinsser B-I-N primers are pigmented shellac but the also make oil based and waterbased primers.

Go to the Kilz and Zinsser web sites and you will see their complete line of products.

These days of reformulated low VOC products, be sure that the primer you choose is compatible with your intended top coat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors