Anyone build wooden ladders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firecaptain

New User
J.D.
we are restoring our 1st fire engine and it is about done,,after asking and searching for the original wooden ladder,, we have come up short,,, is there anyone that could possibly build a 12' for us? we would like it to be out of some kind of hardwood,, it will be for show only but still look the part,,Thanks in advance,,,J.D.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Sounds like an interesting proposition. Where are you located? Do you have any details for what the ladder should look like? Somebody here may be able to help you out, but some more info would help!

firecaptain

New User
J.D.
Sorry!! we are located in Johnston Co,,the cleveland school area to be exact,,,,as far as looks,,what ever they looked like in 1960,,,single section and probably a bit beefier than residential grade,,,,remember its only for looks,,,will never be used and only removed while washing the truck

Dragon

New User
David
Well, I did a brief search on Google for wood FD ladders but only came up with hits for toys. You guys have any of the old NFPA training manuals? Specifically, ( I'm talking about the red paper-back manuals from the 70's and 80's), Pumper Operations and Volunteer Firefighter manuals? If you do, they have photos from way back in the 50's when the 70th Anniversary Series Seagraves pumpers were all the rage.

I was a FD Capt. back in the 80's and as I recall, we had a couple of the old wooden ladders on one of the older engines. There's a couple more firefighters on here that should chime in here pretty soon. CaptA is in Asheville and they just "might" have what you're looking for in a back room somewhere but I wouldn't count on it. Another thing you might want to try would be a Google search for "fire truck restoration" links. I found several there that looked of interest.

What kind of truck are you restoring? If it's an American LaFrance, ya gotta let me come drive it.:banana::banana:

Dragon

New User
David
The Pennsylvania specs can be found here, which I imagine would be applicable for an historic rendition:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/034/chapter21/034_0021.pdf

It gives species allowed for rungs, etc, and also allowable knot locations, etc. Looks definitely doable.

Go

Hey, thanks for posting that. Seems like I recall somewhere in the massive volumes of NFPA regs, there's a section on ladder specs but I can't swear to that. Amazing what one forgets after being out of the business for several years.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Firecaptain: I am in Johnston County :gar-La;:gar-La; Right near the light in Emit. Gibson Glen to be exact Zebulon. PM me or call 375-4442. Sounds like an interesting project!
Jack

Dragon

New User
David
Well, I went to sleep last night with this on my mind apparently. Dreaming about my old days driving the Big Reds. If I remember correctly, the old wood ladders were made with Fir. I could be wrong, it has happened before but I don't often admit it. :rolf:

Oh, here's a couple links that I managed to find on FD wooden ladders.

http://www.emtbravowest.com/index.php?showtopic=372

Ah Ha! Reading this article proves my dream accurate. Douglas Fir and Ash. Vindication is always good.

Looks like Alaco Co. has downloadable engineering files on their ladders here: http://www.arcat.com/details/alacolad/prod0292.html

Their homepage here: http://www.alacoladder.com/ may get you some access to what you're looking for. Who knows, a little schmoozing and sweet talking, (artfully employed begging) might net you a contribution for your current project. :dontknow: Hope this helps out some.

Glennbear

Glenn
Best of luck on your restoration JD, David's posts about prior fire service brought flashbacks for me. I was an assistant fire chief for the State of NJ in the mid 70's. Amongst our active duty fleet was a 1937 Pirsch 75' Wooden Hook and Ladder with the full complement of straight wooden ladders in the bed underneath the main ladder. You have not done a real workout until you have done a "gymnasium raise" with a long wooden ladder using outrigger poles and 6 men. The Pirsch itself did not have modern touches like hydraulic outriggers, instead a block or two before the fire scene the driver would pull a lever that engaged a set of hooks that solidly locked the leaf springs on the tractor so that things didn't rock and roll when the ladder was raised. Our more "modern" vehicles were a 1948 Ward LaFrance open cab, 1954 Mack Sedan Cab (precursor to today's engines with fully enclosed crew compartments), and a 1942 GMC 4x4 with front mount PTO pump. On my "to do" list is to make a display case for my various department badges that I have accumulated over the decades. :wsmile:

Last edited:

Dragon

New User
David
Yeah, I miss the days of riding tailboard. Today's guys have no idea what that's like. :gar-Bi I'd love to be able to do that just one more time.

firecaptain

New User
J.D.
Well, I did a brief search on Google for wood FD ladders but only came up with hits for toys. You guys have any of the old NFPA training manuals? Specifically, ( I'm talking about the red paper-back manuals from the 70's and 80's), Pumper Operations and Volunteer Firefighter manuals? If you do, they have photos from way back in the 50's when the 70th Anniversary Series Seagraves pumpers were all the rage.

I was a FD Capt. back in the 80's and as I recall, we had a couple of the old wooden ladders on one of the older engines. There's a couple more firefighters on here that should chime in here pretty soon. CaptA is in Asheville and they just "might" have what you're looking for in a back room somewhere but I wouldn't count on it. Another thing you might want to try would be a Google search for "fire truck restoration" links. I found several there that looked of interest.

What kind of truck are you restoring? If it's an American LaFrance, ya gotta let me come drive it.:banana::banana:
thanks for ALL the info guys!!! Glad im able to bring up some old memories for some of you!!! things have changed from "the good ole days" to say the least!!!! OUr engine is a 1961 Ford American LaFrance,,,nothing special other than its our first one,,most depts dont get the chance to get theirs back! Glad we did!!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
So, did you find someone to build your ladder?

If nothing else is available I may consider doing it. I've been wanting to build a ladder for my barn.

Dragon

New User
David
thanks for ALL the info guys!!! Glad im able to bring up some old memories for some of you!!! things have changed from "the good ole days" to say the least!!!! OUr engine is a 1961 Ford American LaFrance,,,nothing special other than its our first one,,most depts dont get the chance to get theirs back! Glad we did!!

ALRIGHT!! Not exactly the ALF I had in mind but she'll do. When do I get to come take 'er fer a spin?:mrgreen:

Hey, I know it ain't "woodworking" per se, but post up some pics of that rig would ya? Would love to see it.:banana:

firecaptain

New User
J.D.
yes Trent Mason is getting me some figures to submit,,he is just up the road from us,,,and sure thing on the pics!!! it was suppose to be ready last week but you know how that goes!!!!

Dragon

New User
David
yes Trent Mason is getting me some figures to submit,,he is just up the road from us,,,and sure thing on the pics!!! it was suppose to be ready last week but you know how that goes!!!!

Yep, sure do. Best laid plans of mice and men. I used to work for American LaFrance back in the late 80's after I moved to Atlanta. I'm pretty sure I've got some of the original manuals for servicing and repairing if you have a need. I can ship them to you and you can copy and return. I will ask one favor beforehand though. Don't wait till the day you need them. They're in my warehouse and anyone here that's been there can tell you, it'll take me the better part of a week to dig my way to them. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS