Anybody want a CNC router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
I'm planning on importing a 4'x4' CNC router from China sometime between now and Xmas. Same factory I bought my laser cutter from - they have proven to have good support and communications.

I'm getting pretty aggressive pricing, and thought I would throw this out there to see if any NCWW members would like to buy one. Not looking to make any money on the deal, other than maybe a little better pricing for a multiple machine order, which will benefit all participants. Just trying to be neighborly...not many people know you can order factory direct and import yourself.

I've already imported from China a couple times, so I can help you navigate that aspect. Last time I had it shipped to Norfolk and picked it up at the warehouse myself.

Here's the company I'm ordering from:
http://www.wklaser.com/products.asp?code=0004

Basically the same units as the Camaster, just a different factory. Drop me a PM if you're interested. Price quotes I have gotten are around $3K for the 6090 (24x36") and $4K for the 1212 (48'x48'). That's before freight, duties, customs broker fees and bulk breaker fees. Probably tack another $500-$600 on for that.

This will be my first CNC machine, and like the laser you shouldn't expect turnkey like ShopBot....however if you are a quick learner I've found the Chinese machines to be very capable; at least when it comes to lasers anyway.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Can't really say that I need a CNC (want, oh yes, just not need). But I'd like to hear your feedback because I'm curious about the quality and what it actually takes to get it up and running reliably.

NCWW member Badabing has an imported laser engraver. Last time I checked with him he hadn't used it much ...

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Yeah, I'll definitely put feedback up here if it would be valued.

My experience with the laser has been fairly good. There's definitely a learning curve, but I would say 90% of it is just getting used to working with lasers...i.e. I would have probably gone through it with an Epilog as well.

The laser I bought is a solid machine. Ways are Taiwanese and very accurate/finished. The entire machine is quite nice really. Weak spot seems to be the software and the electronics. I get around software limitations by doing all my design work in Corel and importing jobs. Electronics can fail - I just had the smaller 24v power supply go out on the board. Factory FedEx'd me a replacement under warranty. Even if I was not under warranty, the replacement supply is only a couple hundred bucks, and my machine cost less than 1/3 what an equivelent US model would have cost. I'd have to go through a lot of components to even start closing that gap.

Maybe I'll drop an email to Badabing and see if he has any issues I can help out with.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Eric,
just curious if the 48" unit is the largest available.When cutting curved moulding sometimes you need much more capacity.Is there a spot on the net to check out these units.Also for someone who is not related to Bill Gates,how bad is the software to deal with?I have been involved in NC metal machining since the late 70's so I 'm familiar with non user friendly operating systems but how tough is it?
Thanx,Greg

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
4'X4' is on the smaller end. They have 4x8 and one even larger I believe. Check the link on my first post to see the machines.

As far as the software, ya got me, this will be my first machine. I'll be figuring it out myself :)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Bernhard has already called, evaluated, and is considering getting one.

As for me, I want one, but I have two problems. No money and no space....:sad11:

Outa Square

New User
Al
I would like to have one as i am a much better on a computer than i am with tools, plus it combines my love of woodworking with my love of computers. I have been looking at plans on line as i would like to build my own.

Although 3k for a 36 x 24 sounds like a good price, i don't think that i could convince the family to do without cable and only eat beans and corn bread, so i am out. I don't think i'll even ask.:nah: A wife, kids, pets, and a house cuts into the tool budget.

FWIW.....

There is a guy in Granite Fall, just north of Hickory that builds hobby machines. He post on craigslist from time to time.

I thought about building my own but i sourced parts for one like i would want to build[EVIL]family do you want some beans? [/EVIL]

I may try but not right now. i figure i'll buy parts here and there and eventually build one. It'll just take time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors