Anybody have an extra Ebony pen blank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I'm looking for an ebony wood pen blanks to make some Greene and Greene style square pegs from. Klingspors only sells them in packages of 10, and I don't need that many.

If anybody has an extra one or two, I have some feathered oak and spalted pecan pen blanks that I'd be willing to trade.

Thanks!

Scott

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Scott, if you don't get any better offers I have some random scrap Ebony you can have. I have two 4/4 by 5.5" square boards that have had a 5" dia. circle cut out of them. The corners were too much for me to throw away. And I also have a 8" long by 1.5" x 1" stick of Black and White Ebony that's 50/50 black, it's not a pure black as true Ebony but with an oil finish it looks really close.

Dave:)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Thanks guys.

Rob, I've never worked with African Blackwood - do you think that it would be well suited for making square plugs for mortise holes? If so, let's do a swap.

Dave, would love to take you up on some of your scraps too. Any chance that you'll be working in my area or nearby soon?

Thanks all.

SS

Rob

New User
Rob
I don't know Scott, makes nice pens, the wood's pretty oily. I have to clean it well with DNA before finishing.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Scott, I have African Blackwood and feel that it would work well for you. I have used it for edge bead on doors and a table. It is very hard and very dusty and holds a nice crisp edge. I am assuming that you plan to chamfer you mortise plugs and feel you would be very pleased with the results.

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
I'll check to see if I have some. I know I have some African Blackwood blanks, not sure about ebony until I look. If so, you're welcome to it

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Thanks everybody for the responses and Dino - thanks for the advice.

Rob, based upon Dino's recommendation I'll take you up on that African Blackwood offer. Are you planning to be passing by this way any time soon? If not, I need to make a trip to Siler City in the next few days and could stop by your place on the way.

Rob

New User
Rob
I wasn't, but I'll be home after 6 and all day sat and sunday if you want to stop by, give me a call. No need for trade, you've done me favors in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors