Anybody ever turned a coffee bean blank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

02ranger

New User
Matthew
I was wondering if anybody here has ever turned a coffee bean blank from Woodcraft. I've got a friend that wants me to turn a pen for him out of one of these. I tried one the other day and about halfway through the beans started popping out like it was popcorn (lol). These blanks are too expensive to keep ruining at $15 a pop, so I was wondering if anybody's got suggestions or tips on turning this beast. Any ideas or experience is greatly appreciated. I was using a ci-2 tool when it blew apart and the pen he asked for is a slimline if any of that is relevant. Thanks for any help you can give.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
You'll have to work it with a skew to reduce the scraping. The Ci tools are glorified scrapers and will "chop" at material with almost a 90 deg angle. A skew will peel the material at a low angle causing less stress. If you aren't as comfortable with a skew, then try a spindle gouge, but ride the bevel and go easy. Alternatively, you can use a bowl gouge and make a pull cut, producing a low angle shear. This is what has worked for me... your mileage may vary ;).

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
+1 on the skew.
I rarely use anything else on pens.
Acrylics and "composite" blanks for me seem to hate anything aggressive.
I chipped out too many blanks to try anything else.
SHARP tool, light touch.
CA at the ready.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
The tipsters are right.

I turned a few of these as gifts. The beans fall apart into dust. I keep a SHARP skew, and as I went I applied the very thin CA glue to the blank. I then finished it with the CA and polished to a shine. The pens still look great (my wife received one!)

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I just started making pens and have been using a lot of spaulted wood (really soft) and I have turned them almost to finish,then soaked them in CA,then finished turning them and this has worked good for me,so what I am getting at ,is do ya think this work with coffee bean blanks ?? just tryin ta learn.:dontknow: :dontknow:

02ranger

New User
Matthew
I think I'll go the skew and CA route. I actually thought that I might should try some CA, but the thought crossed my mind as the beans were flying past my head so I think I was a little late. :gar-La; I thought that the CI2 would do better on the blank because it is a razor blade at the end, but I can see now how that might actually be harder on the blank. I'll try and use a skew and put CA on it next time. Just gotta order a new blank now. As for the CA finish, how often do I need to apply it? Just once when the blank gets round, or start applying it once its round and just keep applying CA as the old coat disappears?

On a side note, I haven't turned many materials that smell as good as this blank when its turning. Coffee smell FTW!:gar-La;

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Hey Mat,I am not sure it would work on coffee bean wood,thats why I put it in the form of a question,so ya might want to wait for another opinion on it,but what I did with the spaulted wood was turn it down to about 1/8 to finished dia,then just turn the blank around by hand squirtin a bit of CA till it stopped soakin in,then took it off the lathe and slid em over a nail for each piece,then let it dry for about an hr or so,then finish turning it down to where it was ready for sanding,then sand it.I would wait for more input before trying it on the bean wood.BTW all I use on the pens is my Ci1 rougher and start sanding with a min of 220 grit.Can't use that dang skew so good yet.:no:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
ca worked okay on my coffee bean blank. I was a bit timid due to the coffee bean oil but didn't seem to be an issue. Then I've used ca and coffee grounds to fill so I guess i had some experience and didn't realize it.
Ken - get back up here to the mountains!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
You spinny guys are crazy - you'll turn anything... How come no one took me up on turning my piece of wood from the petrified forest? :rolleyes:

What's next a french fry pen?

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Well I have seen em turn taters,so guess FF's is somthin ta think about :rotflm: :rotflm:HEY I got it,just turn the tater into a pen,then fry it,then coat it with apoxy :gar-La; YaHoo,ya got a pen.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
You spinny guys are crazy - you'll turn anything... How come no one took me up on turning my piece of wood from the petrified forest? :rolleyes:

What's next a french fry pen?

bring it on jeffrey.... but if you want a pen from it your doin the drillin!:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS