Anybody ever build a Shuffleboard Table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
Thinking about it for my basement. It's a well conditioned space with enough room for a table. My wife and I love the game and it could be an heirloom type project.

Just not quite sure how I would get a 4" thick X 20" wide X 16 ft long table top dead flat. Maybe a torsion box?

I have 4 other projects in que and this one's been in the back of my head for a while. Looking for input if you've ever done it.

Thanks in advance.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Torsion box is probably a good idea - very strong and easy to make flat. Or of course a 20" Planer or Drum Sander with a lot of infeed and outfeed support. Never having tried anything like that, I'm only speculating on reasonable methods. Good luck.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The one I used to play on in FL had 5 sets of 2 legs, about 4' apart, each leg having an adjuster to get keep the table flat and level. IIRC, the playing surface was only about 3" thick, but I believe it was hard maple laminated cross-ways like a bowling alley. What ever method you use, the top wood/finish will be critical to getting a perfectly smooth top, so I am thinking a cross-linked wood like maple would be better than oak, etc.

Go

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I used a router sled with a wide bit to flatten a piece of bowling alley for a table top. Turns out only the first 20 feet or so is maple . The bulk of a bowling alley is pine.

thsb

New User
Tim
This is kind of my holy grail or bucket list project in woodworking. very intimidated by it because if it isn't really good, it will be disappointing.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Slabs that big don't go through any household type planers or sanders without creating casualties. I tried sending a 4" X 24" X 9' through a 36" commercial planner and it almost didn't make it. The slab was pine and it still took 4 grown men to load and un load this piece. Now this was over twenty years ago and if I was to do it again I would have planed it in sections and then pulled it together followed with some hand work and a good straight edge. That being said, I think this would be a really fun project for someone whom has the room for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS