Anybody doing any strip built boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deano055

New User
Dean
Been working on a kayak for a few years.. just wondering if there were any other folks building cedar boats out there...

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes sir I have built a few or more. Currently working on a 9' open deck kayak for my granddaughter. My last is in my gallery it is a Wee Lassie II. What model kayak are you building? How far are you?

deano055

New User
Dean
Hey Phil, I'm building a Night Heron. I'm finished with the hull, and nearly finished with the deck (no staples). Though I think I'm going to glass the footpeg studs into the hull, and build a "trunk" behind the cockpit in the deck before I clamshell them together. It's taken so long because a few "life events" got in the way...

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hey Phil, I'm building a Night Heron. I'm finished with the hull, and nearly finished with the deck (no staples). Though I think I'm going to glass the footpeg studs into the hull, and build a "trunk" behind the cockpit in the deck before I clamshell them together. It's taken so long because a few "life events" got in the way...
I hear that is a great kayak, you are going to like it. Does not matter at all how long it takes to build, you will have it in the water soon enough. Will the foot pegs be adjustable? What are you using to protect the epoxy from UV damage?
Pictures would be great We all like lots of pictures.

deano055

New User
Dean
I've been paddling a polyethylene 14 1/2' Necky Manitou that's 24" wide... can't wait to see the dramatic difference between it, an 18' boat that's only 20" wide... It'll probably end up being about 41-42#. The foot pegs are adjustable, and I'm going to use spar varnish as the UV inhibitor. Will get some pics on here when I get the chance...

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just a suggestion, if you have access to spray equipment you can use automotive clear for the final coats. It is the best uv protection available, you can put on three or four cots in about 2 hours and buff to mirror shine the next day. Gets you on the water faster

nelsone

New User
Ed
My dad has built a couple strip canoes and a S&G kayak out in MO. I am much more into whitewater than flat water, but have been interested in tackling one of the Guillemots. I'd love to see the boat and discuss some of the challenges sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS