? any turning clubs or support for new turners Wilmington?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBMauser

New User
JB
I have taught a young man how to turn pens and bottle stoppers and in turn learned myself. He lives in Wilmington and his parents will buy him the little Harbor Freight lathe for Xmas to turn pens etc. I would like to know if there are any clubs or such in Wilmington. Here at Smith Mountain Lake VA we have an active group of bowl turners that meet. His dad is not a woodworker and I showed him how to turn one pen. I have taught him safety etc. but I would feel a lot better if he had a local group to meet. JB

skeeter

New User
Charles
Yes, there is a turning club in the Wilmington area. In fact there is a meeting tomorrow featuring Alan Leland as the guest turner giving a demonstration. It is the Wilmington Area Woodturners Associataion (WAWA). Guests are welcome. Myself and Splinter (Dolan Brown) are members. Here is the info, including map (meeting is actually in Leland, NC).
http://www.wilmingtonareawoodturnersassociation.org/index.html
He is welcome to go with me, only I will not be able to make this months meeting.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Welcome to the site JB.If the little guy has access bring him on also.There is a wealth of knowledge here to help him along.We Love pics here so be sure to post some of the little guy turning.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
JB,

Like Skeeter said WAWA is a good club in the Wilmington area. We meet the second Saturday from 1-4PM except when we have a guest turner. Then it is 10AM-4PM. Guest are welcome. We pay $2 at the door to offset the building rent - $5 on guest turner days. Membership is $35 @year. Most of the members are probably considered Senior Citizens so some young blood would be goood. And some of the members offer mentor help to less experienced turners. There is some real talent in the group.

Contact Skeeter or me - we would be glad to introduce him to the group.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site JB. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I've heard great things about WAWA and plan on attending after all of my wedding stuff is done (this month! :icon_cheers) As was suggested, if he is willing and able to join this site, that would be a great thing. There aren't as many folks from this area on this site as there are in other areas of the state, but they are some VERY talented and very nice folks. Send him our way and we'll take care of him. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS