Any tips for setting the iron on a #78

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Anyone got any tips or tricks for getting the iron set properly on a Stanley #78.

Had a need to use this plane recently. I pulled the iron out and got it nice a sharp on the WS3000. Now I can't seem to get the thing set up right. Got it in there where I thought it should be, but the plane just glides over the wood without cutting. Tapped on the blade to move it down, then it wants to dig right in, taking a big bite. Can't seem to find a happy medium.

In case anyone asks, the bevel is down ( :gar-La; ). Can't really put in any other way.

Anyway... HELP!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I had to futz with mine a bit. I started with the plane on a flat surface and the iron touching the surface then tapped it just a hair. Tightened it up and got a good cut. That was after I tried a lot of other things that didn't work.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the Craftsman (Stanley knock-off) model I inherited from from my Dad. I start by setting it on my work bench and install the blade with the edge sitting on the bench like Mike described. I tighten it and then try it. Sometimes that is enough. If it doesn't cut, I sight down the sole and tap it out until I just barely see the iron. Any more and it digs in just like you said.

I don't know if mine was dropped on the nose, or poorly made, but the bull nose on the end was skewed a little bit from the rest of the sole and plane body. It took a couple of sessions to get it flattened and trued up square. Before then, the plane was pretty much unusable because to get a cut I had to extend the blade too far, and it wasn't flat with the bull nose front. It either did not cut, or dug in on one side.

Mine is still a finicky cuss at times.

Go

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the Craftsman (Stanley knock-off) model I inherited from from my Dad. I start by setting it on my work bench and install the blade with the edge sitting on the bench like Mike described. I tighten it and then try it. Sometimes that is enough. If it doesn't cut, I sight down the sole and tap it out until I just barely see the iron. Any more and it digs in just like you said.

I don't know if mine was dropped on the nose, or poorly made, but the bull nose on the end was skewed a little bit from the rest of the sole and plane body. It took a couple of sessions to get it flattened and trued up square. Before then, the plane was pretty much unusable because to get a cut I had to extend the blade too far, and it wasn't flat with the bull nose front. It either did not cut, or dug in on one side.

Mine is still a finicky cuss at times.

Go

It is easier to set the iron on the rear bed. The front bed is where I am having trouble. I will have to check the bull nose to see if it is bent. The rest of the sole seems to be pretty flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors