Any table saw whisperers near Winston-Salem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo

James
User
Posting out of frustration. I've been trying to re-square my Incra miter guide on a SawStop 3hp, and none of the methods that have worked before have been successful. So far:
Miter slot is parallel to blade (and Freud calibration disc) by dial indicator
No play in the runner
Gauge is square to blade and calibration disc
by 5 cut method I am .0004 inches per inch out of square
Yet a simple cut is markedly out of square as checked with Klingspor engineer's square
This is true with piece held by stop block,so it's not because I'm moving the wood during the cut
Any suggestions most welcome
Thanks,
Jim

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
Simple test to get you in the ballpark - hold the square against a known straight edge, mark a line, flip the square and draw a second line - the lines should be parallel or should line up with each other - google will show some graphics.

Rick

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Is your stock flat and square before the miter cut?
I'm in your locale, have the same saw and it is tuned. I do not consider myself a table saw whisperer, merely a competent user. I could look at things with you if one of the true experts can't help. PM me if interested.

Jimbo

James
User
IMG_0073[1].jpgThanks to all replies. I've checked the squareness of my cuts with several squares, which give consistent results. Also, when I've been square with these squares in past tablesaw joinery has been good (if that makes sense). I did check squares with the parallel line test as above - Photo attached- but they are parallel. And yes, test pieces are milled. Arrrgh!
Jim

Jimbo

James
User
Hi Cris, Thanks for your kind offer. I think I'll try another few rounds of the 5 cut method and see if that finally lands on a square place. If not, I'd greatly appreciate having another set of eyes check things. I should say that my frustration derives largely from the fact that in the past I've been able to get square and get good results... So being unable to recreate that makes me crazy....I'll let you know how things go at my next try!
Thanks, Jim

Claus

Claus
User
Just a suggestion- try squaring the miter guide against the other miter slot, not the blade. If the blade is off by a fraction you'd still get a square cut, just a minimally wider kerf slot.

--Claus

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
For the simple cut against the stop block: Is the stop block skewing the end of the work forward? Or, is there a burr or other item on the face of the miter fence that could be preventing the work from sitting flush against the fence? I have had problems in the past where a chip of wood has gotten caught between the work and the miter fence.

I also had a problem with an auxiliary fence that was not truly vertical. In that case, the miter worked fine on 3/4" material, but was off when cutting thicker material because the top edge of the fence was not true to the bottom.

I have an Osbourne Excaliber miter gauge, though, and am not thoroughly familiar with the quirks of the Incra.

Hope you find the problem. My guess is its something to do with the stop block.

Go

Another problem I had was with my splitter not being aligned straight behind the blade, so it would skew wood off to the side after it had passed the blade. Don't think that is your case, though, or you wouldn't get a good 5-cut result.

Jimbo

James
User
To all the kind respondents: I think I've got it. It seemed to me that one of my early assumptions must have been wrong (as in the original post), so I went back and re-checked, those, re-ran the 5-cut process, and checked with multiple squares. Also, not being frustrated when I went back to the problem (I know, Woodworking 101...) was large. Seemed the primary square I was using was off on the inside, though true on the outside. So now I'm happy and test cuts are definitely good enough for me.

Thanks again for all the help.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS