Any Sawyers for a yard tree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timf67

New User
Tim
My next door neighbor has a ~45 year old silver maple in his front yard that he wants to take down (before it takes his house down!:eek:) Anyway, it is ~32" diameter at about 4' from the ground. It needs to come down because there is a crotch about 10' up that has a hollow with squirrels living in it. The hollow is likely weakening the crotch and half of the tree is aimed at his house. He has a quote from someone to take it down for him but he wants to see if he can find a more "economical" price to remove it. I have heard all the arguments against harvesting yard trees, and it may not be worth it for a soft maple, but thought I would ask. My neighbor is more than happy to pay someone to take it away even if they are going to get lumber from it. If anyone is interested or knows of someone to call, shoot me a PM.

Dragon

New User
David
Yard tree? Close proximity to a dwelling and likelyhood of impacting said dwelling? Tell him good luck. Not trying to be a sourpuss here but not many folks other than professional tree removers with big insurance policies would go near it. Then again..........one never knows.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Yard tree? Close proximity to a dwelling and likelyhood of impacting said dwelling? Tell him good luck. Not trying to be a sourpuss here but not many folks other than professional tree removers with big insurance policies would go near it. Then again..........one never knows.

Come on David that tree has Dragon all over it:gar-La;.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words, nuff said...

tree_in_house.jpg

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Man, that is why I haven't cut a couple around my house.

Does that deck have enough support? I am thinking about building a deck...

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
That's when the skill of an arborist is truely needed. I know few greater pleasures than spiking a tree, trimming the weight to the other side, and making it fall 180 out from where someone else swears it cannot fall.:wsmile:

Dragon

New User
David
Yep, had far too many of them spin and dance on the stump and then fall EXACTLY where I KNEW it would not fall.

truckjohn

New User
John
Yep...
Pay the extra $$$ for a professional service who is fully insured, licensed, bonded, etc.....
They can bring their bucket trucks and cranes out to take the tree down 1 piece at a time....

I would certainly not hire the fellow down the street on the cheap, and then have him drop said tree squarely into the middle of my roof.... or worse -- end up killed when a big branch gets loose and falls straight down into him.

Remember -- The Land Owner is legally responsible for anyone on his property -- so if Jimmy from down the street or some fellow working with "Fly By Nite Tree Service" gets hurt when cutting the tree down... The owner pays his medical expenses and lost wages...

Then.. There is the land owner's liability for whatever said tree hits on the way down -- If it crashes into a neighbor's fence or car... You pay for that too...

If the guy wants to try to salvage some wood for lumber... Tell the tree service in advance and they can probably work something out....

Thanks

John

M

McRabbet

I won't tell you guys about the time I felled a 28" diameter White Oak between two neighbors homes back in Durham as a favor -- the tree was dying because of driveways built over its drip zone and it was 15 feet from each house. I bet the guy who asked me that I could drop it on a gallon milk jug filled with water forty feet away at the end of his driveway. I used an old McCullough 16" Eager Beaver and like I said, I won't tell you guys that I won the bet. The beer tasted sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS