Any preference on a 4" x 36" belt/disc sander or are they all pretty much equal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
I have had an old Delta 4" x 36" for the better part of 13+ years now and it's served me very well. However it's time has come.

Looking in the sub $200 range, do you think any one sander is better than the next at that price point or are there some diamonds in the rough? The little Rikon is at WoodCraft for $149.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Can't go wrong with Rikon in my opinion.

I have a Grizzly cabinet version G1014ZX. I put casters on it to make it fairly portable. They make a bench-top version of the same size which should be cheaper. I like it so much that I ordered the parts to put a second tilt table on it. That way I don't have to change the table around from the disk to the belt when using the belt vertically (my normal position for it.)

Just checked the website and the G0547 is a similar Bench-Top model for $129. It has a 6" disc versus the 9" disc on the cabinet model.

awldune

Sam
User
If you are patient, Woodcraft will offer the Rikon at $99 at some point. I have this model and it is fine. To me it is not just especially great like some Rikon products but it is fine.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I ordered this Hitachi reconditioned sander yesterday for $74.00 + $10.00 s/h - $5.00 frequent buyer credit = $79.00. The specs are about the same as the other small imported models. The main criticism I've seen about this sander is the shorter exposed surface of the belt - a result of its better dust control.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I've had a Hitachi SB 10Y model that I got at Lowes when they were clearing them out probably 5-6 years ago. It's still running strong and has done everything I've needed it to do. It seems I was in the $60 range when I got it.

B.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I've had a Hitachi SB 10Y model that I got at Lowes when they were clearing them out probably 5-6 years ago. It's still running strong and has done everything I've needed it to do. It seems I was in the $60 range when I got it.

B.

Oh well, that's inflation!;)

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
I was at Woodcraft today and ended up picking up the Rikon for $149.

The Delta started up with stopping when you put any kind of load on it. Then that kinda went away for a bit but the entire motor assembly started bucking under load. Now it's making a ridiculous racket when it's on so I called it quits. I'm sure the loss of power is just new brushes, but everything jumping and bucking makes me think something cracked inside. I'll probably tear it down and have a look, but in the mean time I needed something in its place on short order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS