Any of you guys turn turkey pot calls? supply inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Hey guys, any of you hanging out here in the woodturner's forum section, turn turkey pot calls? I am looking for some wooden soundboards and was wondering if you had any good sources or if any of you produce your own?

I understand the simplicity in producing one's own, however sometimes going in multiple directions hinders such things. If you have some available for sell, please PM.

Thanks, Chris

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Jack, flyrod444 makes some spectacular pot calls, and other calls as well.
I've seen some of them in person, and his work is truly awesome.
Drop him a pm. He makes his own and uses exotic and domestic woods. Hard CALL to say which is better...
He does sell his calls as well so that might be an option for you.

If you look in his gallery there is at least one picure of a turkey call he made.

Last edited:

flyrod444

New User
Jack
I use glass or slate for all my sound boards. You can get wooden sound boards here along with every thing else you need. http://brooksidegamecalls.com/soundboards.aspx I was contacted by Woodturning Design Magizine last spring about writing an article about how I make my pot calls. It will be in their next issue which should be for sell in Janurary. I hope it helps people in their quest to make pot calls.
Jack

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
Congrats on your celebrity status, Jack:icon_thum:eusa_clap:eusa_danc:icon_cheers:thumbs_up!
If anyone wants any slate for sound boards or ??? I have a bunch here. They are ~12x12 tiles that used to be the roofing on our train depot. The good news is they are free to any NCWWers for their own use; the bad news is that you have to come and get them; I have a hundred or so; let me know.

Russ

Last edited:

Truefire

New User
Chris
I use glass or slate for all my sound boards. You can get wooden sound boards here along with every thing else you need. http://brooksidegamecalls.com/soundboards.aspx I was contacted by Woodturning Design Magizine last spring about writing an article about how I make my pot calls. It will be in their next issue which should be for sell in Janurary. I hope it helps people in their quest to make pot calls.
Jack

Jack, i appreciate that but the last few times i have looked into brookside's product line they never have any type of wooden soundboards for sale. I guess i should have called them just to determine as to whether or not they carry the item. I need to do that.

About the Magazine and the article, will this article be published in the Woodturning Design January 2011 issue, is that what you are saying? Just wanting to make sure that i don't miss it?

I guess one would have to buy a subscribtion to receive this one magazine, i guess i could make appropriate arrangements to stop by Woodcrafters and pick up this issue when i am in Raleigh in January. There aren't any wood supply shops down east that carry wood working magazines.

Whoa! WAIT a MINUTE. I just thought of someone, Barnes and Nobles bookstore in Greenville will be a provider i am sure. There we go, Barnes and Nobles bound...

Take care Jack and i appreciate this info.

Chris

Truefire

New User
Chris
Jack thanks a million my man, i just went to brooksides site and wow they have all of what i need, thank you bro.

I don't know but the last time i looked i couldn't locate these wooden soundboards :BangHead: :XXfridge:, anyway now we have...:rolf:

Thanks,

Chris

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Chris, glad they had what you needed. I cut my own glass for my sound boards and buy my slate directly from Penn Big Bed Slate. The article will be in their spring issue which will be for sell some time in January. I think it is issue #29. Barnes and Nobles is the only place I can find the magazine locally so hopefully they will carry it at your end of the state as well.
Jack

Truefire

New User
Chris
Jack, that sounds interesting. When you have a chance that would make for an interesting read of how you go about cutting the glass soundboards for your calls. I guess you might have this contained in the article you are preparing for the magazine, if not i would be interested in hearing how it is that you execute such a feat. :icon_scra

Thanks, Chris

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Hi Chris, I didn't explain how to cut the glass since the article is written for people wanting to try making a call maybe for the first time. I gave the name of a guy I still buy glass from at times and the ceramic I use in my calls. Here is the cutter I use. It took 20 or 30 circles before I really go the hang of it. A local hardware store gives me all the scrap glass I can use for the calls so there is no expense for sound boards. http://cgi.ebay.com/STAINED-GLASS-S...707?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a3de21e3
Jack

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Hey Jack,when ya get rich an famous do I have ta make an apointment to come visit your shop,er ah, I mean your studio :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Truefire

New User
Chris
Thanks Jack, that is pretty cool. I have never thought of cutting my own glass for my calls. Are these glass circle cutters typically set to produce only a few select sizes or are you given the option to be able to produce any size you want?

Also you mention purchasing your slate from Penn Big Bed, are you splitting or somehow cutting those larger slate tiles to obtain the thickness that you desire? Or do they offer slate for callmakers for i didn't see any offered on their site?

Thanks for being understanding with all of the questioning. :eek:ccasion1

Thanks a million Jack, Chris

flyrod444

New User
Jack
The cutter will cut any size you need from around 1" to 6" or 7". After I get it adjusted to the size I want for a surface or sound board I scratch a mark on the arm so I can go back to the size any time I need to. As far as slate, I am told it has to be kept wet to cut which is done at the quarry. Pen Big Bed Slate cuts the slate to size and thickness you need. I usually buy 100 pieces at a time, but I don't now if they have a minimum order size are not. It usually cost some where in the $1.40 per piece range not counting shipping. I know one call maker that cut one piece out of a larger piece of slate and said he had over and hour in the one slate and it didn't sound good at all.
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS