Any Finishing Tips for Cool Weather Finishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I have a project ready for finishing, using Waterlox Original Sealer & Finisher. I am going to remove any dust by wiping the wood down with paint thinner. Since I have shop cats, who do not wander out of the shop, I will be doing using the thinner and finish outdoors.

What is the lowest temperature you have found to be practical to wipe down with paint thinner?

After wiping down with thinner, how long do I wait before applying the first coat of finish?

In your experience, how long does the wood need to stay outside, so the harmful vapors dissipate? At which point, I can move the project inside (before the sun goes down and the temperature drops below the optimum for drying).

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Mineral spirits drying time depends upon the outdoor temperature and air circulation. At this time of year it'll take a bit longer. Park the piece in the sun if possible for a few hours. Because Waterlox is formulated with mineral spirits you don't have to wait until it's entirely dry before applying a coat, but you're got the same problem with the finish drying and curing re: shop cats.

http://www.waterlox.com/project-help/

IMHO I don't think that you'll be subjecting them to toxic levels of solvent vapors, probably not more than you'll be breathing in the process. Maybe a fan in the shop to move the air around. :icon_scra

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Mineral spirits drying time depends upon the outdoor temperature and air circulation. At this time of year it'll take a bit longer. Park the piece in the sun if possible for a few hours. Because Waterlox is formulated with mineral spirits you don't have to wait until it's entirely dry before applying a coat, but you're got the same problem with the finish drying and curing re: shop cats.

http://www.waterlox.com/project-help/

IMHO I don't think that you'll be subjecting them to toxic levels of solvent vapors, probably not more than you'll be breathing in the process. Maybe a fan in the shop to move the air around. :icon_scra

Well you wouldn't want to stick a fan in my shop while finishing unless you want saw dust all over the finish.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
For removing dust before finishing, the proper process is to first use a vacuum cleaner with a soft upholstery brush. The you can apply your finish. Wiping with a rag lightly dampened with mineral spirits is only required for the final coat. Any final scuff sanding of the prior coat will remove any finish defects caused by dust. DO NOT soak the wood or the surface. Your mineral spirits rag should be barely damp. It should not be so wet that it leaves any mineral spirits on the surface. Let any residue fully evaporate which shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

Keep in mind that almost all the dust that gets on a freshly finished surface comes from dust in the air or falls off the clothing of the finisher. Don't do you your final coat in the same area where you do your sanding. Change your clothes before applying your final coat. Get out of the room as soon as you finish applying your last coat.

mckenziedrums

New User
Tim
Consider using water based stuff if you're like me and your shop seems to resemble a garage ;) You can bring it inside into the nice warm air and not have to worry about toxic fumes. (I do cheat and put a single coat of oil on under the water based finishes to warm up the look a bit)

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
In my experience, if your finish's solvent is mineral spirits then you can wipe down your project with mineral spirits and apply your finish just as soon as the mineral spirits has visibly evaporated (the surface appears uniformly 'dry'). You don't need to flood the surface with minieral spirits to clean it, just enough to thoroughly moisten a lint-free cloth/towel. Whatever small amount might remain in the wood will serve only to ever-so-slightly dilute your first coat of finish. Water-based finishes would be a whole other story though, for them you would use a damp cloth moistend with either water or DNA alcohol to wipe down the surface.

All said, though, I suspect the OP's primary motivation for finishing outdoors is a sincere desire not to accumulate paw prints and cat hair in his finish. Cat's love flat elevated surfaces and their hair can end up everywhere if they have been shedding!

ZachEakes

New User
Zach
Do not turn off the lights when you leave, the static electricity holds dust to the bulbs and it drops it when you turn off the lights and shut the door. Don't shut an open electric garage door, and don't unplug anything after the paint is on, or throw any electric switches... Good ways to burn down shops.

Windchill is irrelevant to glue and paint, surface temperature is everything. It may be freezing to you, but if it is bright and sunny outside, and will be for a few hours you may be better off outside the shop than in... particularly on a calm day. Infrared thermometers are good fun... if you don't have one you should get one to play with.

If you must work indoors, vacuum up the floors where you are walking stirring up stuff with a shopvac and a fine filter. Put a yellow drywall dust bag in, and no dust will come out the other end. Using anything but, unless you have a 20 foot hose and can get the shopvac exhausting outside the shop, is a waste of time as you are just putting dirt into the air.

Build a plastic cover, not a rosin paper cover over the area you wish to finish to keep stuff from dropping out of the ceiling. A few pvc pipes hung from the ceiling works well. If you are doing one side, do everything you can to be able to coat it, and then flip it upside down. (Light coats...)

Big oil filled electric heaters are a blessing. Building a box around what you want to finish out of junk plywood, and throw some cheap paint on the inside. Keep the heater well away from the edges. These are radiant heaters, and being close by is enough to keep and hold surface temperature. You want radiant heaters, not air heaters for doing finish work. Hot air stirs up a lot of dust, and cold things take a lot of hot air to heat up.

Get it hot, pull off the box. Do what you want to it while it is cooling down. Let it sit for an hour or so, until whatever you are using starts to tack up. Put the lid back on, and turn on the heat.

If you don't let the solvents escape, you can get a finish that never dries for lack of air movement, or just stays gummy. In a thick coat you can get solvent popping. If you put the piece back to heat while the finish is wet, you can cook air out of the wood and into the finish giving bubbles that are trapped in the finish.

Heat up your paint, or store it indoors prior to use. Solvent escapes faster at higher temperatures, and you need more thinner to get good flow at low temperatures.

Kerosene puts out lots of carbon and unburnt fuel that can cause adhesion and curing problems, particularly with polyurethanes. (Hydrocarbons hold water...)

Propane heat's byproduct is water, which can cloud the finish of some products. Polyurethanes don't always get a super rich gloss, and can have a haze. (solvent issues) Polyurethanes will also kick off faster with higher humidity content.

I will occasionally rig up a bank of heat lamps in clamp on light fixtures and use an infrared thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature. In 40 degree weather you can easily hold a few square feet above 90, for however long you want to adjust lights.

In cold weather if you must sand the finish, see if you smell solvent when you start. If you still smell solvent, you cannot flatten the finish with sandpaper, as the finish is still moving. What you do today, will be different tomorrow, or when the finish finally reaches full cure. Wait however many days it takes to not smell raw solvent.

Zach

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
A hair dyer seemed to work pretty good, I just used it on some plasti-kote clear gloss. I let it flow out nice and smooth, then after about 15 min I hit it with the hair dryer, first on low, then on high the finish was dry in a matter of minutes verse 24 hours like the instructions said.

It must be a FredP speed trick :gar-Bi

mckenziedrums

New User
Tim
A hair dyer seemed to work pretty good, I just used it on some plasti-kote clear gloss. I let it flow out nice and smooth, then after about 15 min I hit it with the hair dryer, first on low, then on high the finish was dry in a matter of minutes verse 24 hours like the instructions said.

It must be a FredP speed trick :gar-Bi

Addendum: A never before used on female hair, hair drier.

Lesson learned the hard way on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors