Any experiences with the Laguna p|flux ?

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Looking to upgrade the DC in my garage shop to a cyclone. I've got a few new projects planned and actually some time to do them. I am leaning towards the Laguna p|flux (either the 2 or 3 hp variety) to replace my 1.5hp Jet (which works great but I don't like changing the bags -- dust is a problem for me).

Anyway- does anyone run either of these?

Assuming that they're as good as the videos are showing, I'm leaning towards the 3HP version for future proofing. Currently all of my tools are mobile and I am using flex hose -- I am assuming that there will be a bit of suction drop-off but that it won't collapse the hose.

Thanks,

-jamie

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
Jamie,

I have the 3hp Laguna and like it....now. These are my opinions/observations on this item;

*Have the better part of a day to put it together. It comes disassembled in a box with about 8000 (sarcasm) parts. The assembly manual is 26 pages long and warns you that assembly is about an 8 hour process. The manual can be confusing and, in my opinion, misleading in places in its instruction. Take your sweet time and do not be in a hurry!
*Have a second person available when you assemble it. You begin the assembly with the unit on its side and then you have to stand it up. It is too heavy to do this alone, I know, I was. I ended up using a comealong attached to a rafter to ultimately get it upright and it was a heck of a challenge to do so.
*I had a problem with the cyclone getting clogged up with shavings when I was using the planer. When this happened, it forced the shavings into the HEPA filter side, clogging it up. This was a real pain in the a-- to clean out. I worked with Laguna technical support who were very attentive and all but offered no solutions to the problem that worked. I finally figured that static electricity was causing the shaving particles to stick together and clog the cyclone. I removed the plastic bag from the debris receptacle bin, which you can do, and that solved the problem.
*The 3hp model list itself at 22 amps. Mine has run fine on a 20 amp circuit but it is something to keep in mind.
*After all the above, the unit works fine and I am very pleased with the performance.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Wow, thanks for the detailed response. I already new about the assembly challenges, I watched a video on youtube about it. I'd be running a new 220v line for it so will likely just go with 30a if I end up getting it. I missed the Laguna sale :( so waiting to hear from the local Woodcraft to see if it's eligible for the same discount on their upcoming sale weekend.

The jointer/planer is the thing that causes the most grief with the 1.5 HP Jet, and I figured that the cost difference between the 3hp & 2hp was negligible at that point (especially since I would run a new line)

Interesting tidbit about the bag. What kind of bag were you using? Just a regular garbage bag or something special?

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
Jamie,
The bag I was using was the one supplied with the collector by Laguna. Like I said, by eliminating the bag and allowing the debris to collect directly in the bin, which is an option, the problem was eliminated. A couple of other things; *Originally I had a problem with the remote control. There are instructions with the assembly manual for setting up the remote but problems continued. However, now the remote works fine (I have had the unit for two+ years now). I have no idea what I did or didn't do but it works fine now. Also, as I said and you are aware of, the assembly is involved. The assembly manual is actually 54 pages long and contains 49 steps for assembly. Have fun! A couple of examples of what I was saying about the manual being confusing or misleading, the unit uses two sets of casters, four each, with one set being 4" and one set being 3". The manual refers to both sets being 4". This was not a problem to figure out as the mounting plates were different and easy to figure out where each set went. I was just surprised at an error like this in a complicated manual for an expensive unit. The second was when I finally finished step 49, there were three metal supports left over. I went back through the manual and could not find any reference to them. However by studying the photo of all the parts I could figure out what they were and how they were used and got them installed. These three supports turned out to be pretty critical for the overall sturdiness of the unit which is over 6' tall when assembled. If you go with this unit and would like some help, send me a message and I'll be glad to help out.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have an older model of the Laguna 3HP Cyclone. I also removed the bag after the first time as it was a PITA to use and you don't need it. I'm very happy with the performance of the unit over my older 1.5HP Delta unit. I don't need the pre-filter to collect chips anymore. I added a sensor to let me know when the bin was getting full. I have a main 6" duct run the length of the shop and drop off reducers to 4" lines to each piece of equipment. That works well - each 4" line has a blast gate and I tend to only open one gate at a time. I like the fact the dust bin just rolls out the door when its time to empty it. I dump it in a 96 gallon trash can just the other side of the door and haul the 96 can to the woods once it is full.

I found the remote works best if I hold it in the air. Pushing the button while it lays on a surface was a problem - not sure why.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS