Any Domino users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
I am thinking about getting a Festool Domino and hope I can get a few answers. I am watching some deals on Ebay and if the savings is enough, I may go that route. If the savings is not significant, I will probably go the new route. But I am having trouble comparing based on the accessories included in the deal.

It appears that you can purchase a Domino unit or a combination that includes extras. From the ebay deals I am not sure what extras are really just the items that came with the unit and even reading descriptions from Festool and retailers things are not any clearer. Specifically, when are the extra cutter heads included? Do all units also come with the container full of dominos? On ebay it seems anything other than the actual unit is an extra.

I also want to know how easy it is to use a non-Festool shopvac for dust collection. The festool hose appears to be a unique size. Are adapters easy to find?

One last thing, I saw a comment from someone selling a unit that suggested that the domino required a lot of practice for a user to get good results. I was under the impression that it was as easy to use as a biscuit jointer - which I have experience with.

Thanks

Greg

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
It doesn't have as much 'slop' as a biscuit joiner, so if you are off a little, it DOES matter. The sustainer of Dominoes is extra. I am not sure of the cutter set. I know I have them. I hope this helps some.

Oh yes the vacuum seams to be a special size, and it is awsome!

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
Berta, Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you have the Festool dust collector as well. I was hoping I could hook to my current shop vac.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I have a Festool Domino 500. The basic unit comes with the actual tool and a 5 mm cutter. You can buy a systainer assortment of domino tenons (4-10mm) separately which includes all of the compatible cutters. I think the Domino is easy to learn and there are a lot of videos and other guides online. I don't think it takes an inordinate time to get precise results compared to other woodworking machinery. There is only one user calibration necessary.
i have the Festool ct26 vacuum which is a great vacuum in combination with the Domino. There usually is a combo package of the domino 500 and a vacuum at a discount but it's still expensive. I don't have any experience using a shop vac with the domino but others have noted success. Good vacuum is important to keep the mortise clear of debris (not to imply that you need festool vac to achieve).

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Before I got a Festool CT22 vacuum at a referbrished price I was able to find a hose at WoodCraft that would adapt to the Festools. I used a switch that turned on the shop vac when I applied power to the tool. The Festool vac is significantly better, but you can get by without it with some adaptations.

I've only had the Domino for a few weeks but it has already saved me much time and trouble.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
I regularly use mine successfully, which means that it must not be difficult or touchy to use, because if there was any way to screw it up, I would definitely find it. (It's a gift I have.) One of the nicest features is that the mortise sizes are adjustable in width. At the narrowest setting, you have to be precise, because the mortise is created to the exact size of the domino. At the two wider settings, you get a margin of error that allows you to manually align the two pieces you are joining. I seldom use the narrowest setting, but even when I do, it's pretty easy to align everything.

If you want an exhaustive review—heavy on the 'exhaustive', but there will be no bit of domino knowledge left for you to acquire upon completion—then check this out:

http://www.halfinchshy.com/2011/02/festool-domino-joiner-review.html

K

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
I bought mine specifically for making chairs. This is such a time saver, not having to cut those mortise and tenons. I have made numerous chairs which use up to 36 dominoes each. They are so tight fitting that the chair can be dry-fit and sat upon before glueing. I am obviously sold on this product. I had a good biscuit jointer previously, and in my opinion, it makes the biscuit jointer obsolete. I cannot comment on the extras, but as far as dust collection, you can use this thing in your living room and not create any dust that the Festool vacuum will not collect. At times I use my Craftsman shop vac with the standard small hose, just placed loosely over the Dominoe dust port works just fine. Just remove the rigid connector from the hose end and place the raw hose over the dust port. It stays in place from the vacuum pressure well enough.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Matt - the XL or original? Re: Any Domino users

I bought mine specifically for making chairs.

Hey Matt - I am assuming you use the smaller version, not the XL. Please confirm. Without having looked at specs, I expect the XL makes larger mortises - both at the max and min sizes.

Thanks

Henry

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ken, where did you find the refurb vac?

Once a year (I think) Festool has a refurbished equipment sale. Get on their mailing list to be informed of it. There will be a list of equipment for sale and the percentage off (usually from 20-40%). You find the item you want and call a registered dealer, give them a credit card number and it is shipped directly from Festool to you for free.

I would suggest using one of our advertisers to place the order with. Supporting them for supporting us. Both Klingspor and the Woodworking Source are registered Festool Dealers.

BTW, nobody can sell Festool cheaper than anybody else, so supporting one of our advertisers makes sense to purchase the Domino as well. Everybody has it for 10% off right now.

Just used mine for a panel glue-up and it came out great. Even before sanding the seam is almost invisible.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Yes, mine is the original, not the XL. I Use the larger (10 mm) for most joints, and the smaller (5mm) for stringers & slats. These are plenty strong. Matt...

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I have an original as well but I believe I read somewhere that someone was developing an aftermarket adapter so that the XL could also use the smaller cutters. Not 100% sure tho.

Barron

New User
Barron
I have the smaller size and it works great. I used my Rigid shop vac with the smaller 'orange' hose and a Fein adapter and the combo worked well until my wife gave me a CTS26. The Festool dust extractors are really nice. I know that Asheville Hardware participates in the annual refurbished sale-that's where I got my Domino.

thsb

New User
Tim
The domino and vacuum is one of the first tools that i bought when i started woodworking (making furniture) and it was very easy to learn to use. that isn't to say i didn't make any mistakes, but it soon became very evident of what was going wrong.

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
Thanks for all the feedback and the links. I picked up my Domino from Klingspor in Raleigh at lunch today.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
The domino and vacuum is one of the first tools that i bought when i started woodworking (making furniture) and it was very easy to learn to use. that isn't to say i didn't make any mistakes, but it soon became very evident of what was going wrong.

The nice thing about a mistake with the Domino is that you can plug the misplaced mortise with a domino. When the glue is set flush cut the protruding domino and re-cut the correct mortise without anyone noticing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS