Any Bridge builders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
LOML and I are interested in building a small, but sturdy, bridge across the creek that runs through and divides the back portion of our lot. We don't really want anything fancy, don't really even want rails, but would like it to be strong enough to support a small tractor or the like. The creek span where we'd like it is about 10-12', about 5-5.5' deep and we'd like the bridge to be in maybe the 6-8' wide range. Maybe something cool like this, btw it's not arched the planks are shifted from side to side and give that illusion.

Garden_Bridges_4712.jpg

I don't have the design or building skills to put together anything I'd feel safe letting the kids cross or play on, nor do I probably have all the tools needed to construct it. One issue that has contributed to not starting this is the fact that the area where we want to put the bridge has some undercutting and cave-in issues that probably need to be addressed first. I did keep all the treated 2x6, 4x4, and various other sized salvagable wood from our recent deck demo in the hopes that it could be used to construct the needed retaining structures.

We're interesting in determining what something like this would cost in the hopes it's something we can get done sooner rather than later. While I can't handle the bulk of the needed elements for this type of project I would be more than willing to contribute what labor and building assistance I'm capable of if it would help offset the cost any.

If anyone has any interest let me know, I can provide pics if needed.

Brian.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Brian, let's talk. We can build this together. I have built a bridge or two in my time and it's not hard as long as you over engineer it :icon_thum

Reins_from_Above_011.jpg

PChristy

New User
Phillip
don't really even want rails,.....letting the kids cross or play on,.

Brian, I hope that after you and DaveO talk about your new bridge you will reconcider putting up some rails - that 5-5.5 drop might not look that deep but if someone falls that is a long way- just thinking of the safety

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Rails would be nice, but my In-Laws have a small bridge for cars over a 10' wide stream area and they don't have one, and it hasn't caused any problems. They do have 4 x6's for tire rubbing if you get too close though.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
DaveO, thanks for the offer.:icon_thum I'll pm you my info and you can contact me at your convenience.

Phillip/Jimmy, we had talked about doing some rails, maybe even from some cedar logs and limbs. However, it's been my experience that if you have rails and pickets kids of all ages want to try to stick their heads through, climb on and try to sit on the rails. Of course that just puts them further up if they do fall, not to mention I'm guesstimating on the high side. I got to see this first hand when the guys a couple of houses down got a small "decorative" bridge put in and all the kids, mine included, were busy trying to climb up and lean over the rail. :thumbs_do

But nothing is set in stone and we're open to any design suggestions.

Thanks guys,
Brian.

AudreyO

New User
AudreyO
On the particular bridge that Dave built (shown above), the lady he built it for did not want rails because she wanted the bridge to be just "there" and thought that rails would draw more attention to it. He did build a "ledge" on either side so that wheelchairs would not just fall off the edge. Ava (almost 5) didn't have a problem on the bridge and she would fuss at us if we didn't use it :)

How old are your little ones? Maybe Ava and I will venture out with Dave so I can meet all of the talent.
-ATO

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Audrey, good point about the visual and I agree completely. The visual affect was one of the things that helped us make the decision to skip them. We want the bridge to be more functional as opposed to ornamental and as you point out rails would draw attention to the bridge. We'd rather see the landscape on the other side of the creek.:gar-Bi

BJ is 2 and Felicity just turned 6 and has long been showing signs of inheriting her moms art skills. You and Ava are more than welcome to tag along for the adventure. I'm sure BJ and Felicity would love the opportunity to play with Ava if everyone's schedule allows it.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS