Antique Chevy 1 ton Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hook

New User
Gregory
I think the Pattern said it was a 1923. This one came from the Berry Basket CD great American scrollsaw patterns. After cutting most of the pieces out back in August, I let the project sit and stare at me until today.

90% of the cutting was done on the scroll saw. A little bit on the band saw. I took some liberty with the pattern because I didn't think the pattern makers took sturdiness into consideration. I added dowels where necessary to make the joinery more stable when attaching the fenders to the frame as well as the hood. I would have liked to have done headlights and tail lights for it but time constraints have me on too tight a schedule and I just had to get this done for the show next week. If it doesn't sell at the show, I may reconsider the headlights and tail lights.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Your killing me with all of these. That looks great. I am so sensing a scroll saw in my future. Great job!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Greg, another super job. The more time I spend in my shop the less I seem to accomplish. You just keep knocking out one great project after each other. :thumbs_up

Hook

New User
Gregory
Greg, what's the secret for hanging the doors?
BTW, looks great!

1st - OOPS, I got the year wrong, it's a 1926 (I found the cover sheet for the plan as I was cleaning up).

The doors are cut from the same piece as the side panel. The secret to hanging them is having a pin or finish nail. Some plans call for dowel rods, this one called for a nail on the top and bottom. Once your pattern is on the door piece, you drill top and bottom for the size pin you're going to insert before you cut the door out of the side panel. Also, the "hinged" side of the door is cut on an angle. I need to experiment with the angle because the plan called for a 10 degree angle but I don't think it was enough.

Hook

New User
Gregory
That is really cool! How long does it take you to do something like that?

The answer is kind of subjective. If I did absolutely nothing else, I could do it in a weekend or less. The problem with that is the time between glue ups. I'd have to organize the process so that things that need to be glued are cut, glued and clamped while other things are being cut so as not to have any idle time.

Reality is it takes a couple of weekends because I'm not that good at planning out the project. In the meantime, while I'm waiting for glue to dry or what not, I have plenty of other projects I can work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors