Antique BackSplash

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Finally got a fairly major project done in the new shop. The wife and I bought an Antique Serving Cabinet at one of the local Antique shops in the area. It was obviously missing a piece that went on the back of it, so I got some Quarter Sawn White Oak to match the piece and built a BackSplash for it. The wife picked out some 8" square tiles on Amazon and I had an 8x16" mirror made for it. It is 42" long to match the Antique and 12" tall which makes for about a 3" frame of wood all around.

This is what it looks like after finish was applied.

DSC_01791.jpg

I ended up fuming it to darken the wood - this is what the original wood looked like in comparison.

DSC_0180.jpg

The piece on the right is straight out of the fuming box. On the left is after applying a Varnish Oil finish - darkened quite a bit with the finish, but also brought out the grain fleck.

DSC_01751.jpg

And finally, what it looks like installed on the Serving Cabinet. It turned out a little darker than the cabinet, but is a close enough match for our tastes. Probably could have taken it out of the fuming box a couple days earlier.

DSC_01811.jpg

The cabinet itself has some chips in the veneer, but they are not too severe and I think they give it character.

DSC_01822.jpg

Glad to be working in the shop again. Still more to do getting it completely ready, but it is usable now.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Nice replacement for a missing antique piece. I agree it is a little dark in the photo. Is there that much difference in person?

The tiles nicely compliment the painting above it.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice replacement for a missing antique piece. I agree it is a little dark in the photo. Is there that much difference in person?

The tiles nicely compliment the painting above it.

It probably shows up a little more in the photo as she had just shined up the top of the cabinet. The finish may lighten a little as it cures and is exposed to sunlight as well. You'll have to stop by some day and see it in person.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Nice work Ken, it looks like it turned out well. My very first reaction to this was: "What, wait a minute, how can Ken be done with his shop already?" :eek:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice work Ken, it looks like it turned out well. My very first reaction to this was: "What, wait a minute, how can Ken be done with his shop already?" :eek:

Done is not a word I would not use at this time. Still a lot to be 'done'. But it is at least usable at this point. Still cluttered and still unpacking and finding things in the process.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I remember asking Bill Clemmons how long it took him to complete his shop at one of the Greensboro lunches. His response was "Done? It still isn't done". I thought he was just messing with me at the time. Now, I'm starting to understand what he was saying. :)

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeremy, even in my little space it will always be a work in progress and flux, it evolves much as our work and needs change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS