Another workshop design question

Dorm

New User
Dorm
I recently moved and am planning to build a small workshop ... likely 16x16 or 16x20. I have limited space on the lot, but feel either size will work. I definitely need to be way more efficient with storage of material and especially tools. Main tools are portable tablesaw, bandsaw on casters, DeWalt planer & portable shaper share a 2'x3' cart on wheels, and 12" Mitresaw. And of course there are the usual cast of hand tools ... planes, hammers, chisels, saws, et al. And a 3'x6' rolling workbench.

I also have a standalone Craftsman drillpress, mounted on a rolling base. And I'm wondering what other options I may have for this. It is on a rolling cart, but still takes up roughly a 2'-3' space. It is a great tool and works great when needed - but I'm considering some sort of bench top drill press ... any of you guys using a bench top model? I'm also considering notching the top of the workbench to incorporate one of the above tools ... either the shaper or chopsaw. Any experience from this crowd on this?

Lastly, any tips or experience or suggested web links with what I'm trying to do here is much appreciated.

Ciao ... Dorm

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Put the drill press beside or near your cut-off saw so you can use the press' table as an extension for wide stock. I used to keep a floor model press beside my radial arm saw. It made a great support extension. Floor model presses take up less space. Bench space is golden when working on a project. A bench press just gets in the way.

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
I built a flip cart planer on one side joiner on the other I can send you measurements of mine it's a dewalt planer delta joiner

Dorm

New User
Dorm
I built a flip cart planer on one side joiner on the other I can send you measurements of mine it's a dewalt planer delta joiner
Jack, I’d appreciate it very much. I’ll dm you the contact info

Dorm

New User
Dorm
Put the drill press beside or near your cut-off saw so you can use the press' table as an extension for wide stock. I used to keep a floor model press beside my radial arm saw. It made a great support extension. Floor model presses take up less space. Bench space is golden when working on a project. A bench press just gets in the way.
Got it! I’ve done a ‘to scale’ layout of the floor and each wall to plan for storage with: clamps, nails, screws, lumber, hand held power tools, etc. I can certainly use the overhead floor plan to locate bench position and best side to slot the bench to accommodate chop saw. AND by extension as you’ve suggested to store the drill press for use as an extended table. Love it !!!

Fingerpicker

New User
Kim
As you have the luxury of designing your shop from the ground up, a few suggestions.
1. Tall ceiling!!! if you can have at least a 10' tall ceiling you will find it so much easier to manipulate longer boards among other things.
2. Plan for dust collection. Under floor ducting is fabulous if you can do it. A separate closet or outside room for the dust collector and air compressor will make for a much quieter and more pleasant work shop.
3. Plan for wood storage, full lengths, sheet goods and cut offs.
4. Don't install too many windows. Wall space is precious.
5. Make it as big as you can afford. No matter how big your shop is, it will not be big enough.

I could easily list quite a few other considerations but these are what I think are some of the most important.

Trey1984

Trey
User
If don't mind I would like measurements also and couple pics would be nice if possible. Do you have dw735 dw734

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I agree with not to many windows but judicious placement of windows can functionally increase the size of your shop. My Uni is on a mobile base but I still locate it close to a wall with a window behind the out feed table. It is also located so I can rotate it 90 degrees and cut sheet goods.

Using the cut off saw and drill press together is a good idea. You could also place the cut off saw on a mobile base and have it match the height of the table saw.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I work out of a 2 car garage and have everything on mobile bases. I reposition the machines depending on the project I'm working on. Starting with everything against the walls I usually begin with the planer and Dust Deputy out in the center. Once all the boards are planed the planer goes back against the wall and the table saw or bandsaw comes out. When it's all cut I move the workbench out and go from there, I like the flexibility, and with everything against the walls there is room for a car.

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member

Attachments

• 20201110_184438.jpg
    20201110_184438.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot_20210113-003511_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210113-003511_Gallery.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 20201024_210301.jpg
    20201024_210301.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 20201024_210443.jpg
    20201024_210443.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 117

Dorm

New User
Dorm
Fantastic advice gents - thanks. Ditto on the tall ceilings and fewer windows. In my last shop I had too many windows, and thus eliminating wall/storage space. I did build with cathedral truss design as had plenty of height for longer boards, etc. Thanks again for the advice

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS