Another Router Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I purchased the Dewalt DW618 Router Combo from Amazon.com last March. I have been very happy with its performance and versatility with the exception of the plunge base. When I try to insert the motor into the base, it binds on the side of the base to the point that I have to just about force it into the base. (Not so with the fixed and D-handle bases. The motor literally drops right in.)

I was wondering if there was anyone else out there encountering the same problem with the Dewalt DW618 plunge base router.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

woodguy1975

New User
John
Call Dewalt. I don't have that issue with mine. Dewalt is really good about product support. They may send you a new plunge base. John

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Make sure your clamp is releasing all the way and that the flat side on the motor is facing the plunge column. I have that same model and have no problems either, unless I miss the things I mentioned above. Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks Guys,

I will give them a call and see what they can do. As I said, otherwise I think that it is an otherwise a great product!

Wayne

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well. I have wrestled with this plunge base long enough. I am taking it into Dewalt in Raleigh this AM.:icon_thum

I will post the results of my trip. (Man, I would like to be able to use it!)

Thanks again for sharing all of your personal experiences with the DW618.

Wayne

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wayne, good luck with it. Please give us some feedback on how the folks at the DeWalt service center are. It would be nice to know in case I ever have to visit them.

D L

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well D.L.

Woodguy1975 was correct. The Dewalt Service Center folks are sending me a new plunge base via UPS - no questions asked. They felt that the inner sleeve of the old base was not properly seated, hense the binding of the motor insertion. ("Should slide like butter through a goose!)

I should have the new one in about a week. So far I concur w/Woodguy; they are pretty nice folks there in the Raleigh shop.

Thanks,

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's great to hear. I always like to hear when local service centers are good places to go. I appreciate you "testing" the waters.
Dave:)

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
I'm glad to hear DeWalt was kind enough to replace the base for free- it's a bad feeling when a new tool doesn't work like it should. I just noticed the other day the fence on my DeWalt 10" mitersaw was bowed enough to see with a square held against it- no feeler gauge needed- but I've had the saw for three years, so I don't think they'll cover that anymore.

Ryan

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wayne, thanks for your feedback on the service center.:icon_thum I am glad everything worked out for you.

D L

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well it took a little longer than I had anticipated, but the replacement plunge base for the DW618 arrived today!

The motor now slides effortlessly in and out of the base. I must say that I applaud the folks at the Raleigh Dewalt Service Center. They are really great folks to deal with and Dewalt certainly seem to stand behind their product!:eusa_danc

Thanks for the support and feedback!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS