Another Rocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Sapele with holly accents on the legs.
I have to bring it back down and put on another coat of finish (wipe on varnish). Finish looked OK in the shop (basement) but not so good in the living room lighting.

SR_3.jpg

SR_2.jpg

pete

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That looks GREAT! Pete!

Did you use leather for the seat?

I really like that chair. :icon_thum

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
:eusa_danc:icon_thumNow that's what I call a work of art Pete. Superb.:eusa_clap

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Thanks for the comments.
I guess you could call this one a "final beta test"
I'm happy with the design but there are still some construction issues.
I found out yesterday that it tends to "walk" backwards after rocking for a while. So I'll have to mess with the rocker angle and radius.
I'd also like to add a little outward angle to the back legs. Not as much as the Maloof style. Just a degree or two.

Mike - The seat is some velour that Carol had laying around.
Joe - "Just do it"! It's fun!
Matt - It doesn't take much talent. Just a lot of trial and error (with the emphasis on error) !!!

pete

Shamrock

New User
Michael
That turned out fabulous. I really like the seat covering material, really compliments the wood. So when you starting mass production?:gar-Bi

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
BEAUTIFUL work Pete!!! :eek:

You and Mike make me want to move to Charlotte so maybe some of you guys' talent might rub off on me. :gar-La;

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Thanks for the comments.

Matt - It doesn't take much talent. Just a lot of trial and error (with the emphasis on error) !!!

pete

Ha :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

I'm sure it takes a lot of talent to get one to look as nice as that~! Or a lot of trial & error :nah:

You ROCK and are very humble~! Just curious, how much does one cost to make in just the wood prices? As I know if I tried to make one, it would take 3 to 4 times a long to make it.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Just curious, how much does one cost to make in just the wood prices? As I know if I tried to make one, it would take 3 to 4 times a long to make it.

I used about 45bf of 8/4 stock.
If you want to try one I'd suggest making a prototype out of something very cheap. I made one out of SYP 2x10's. If you pick through the pile you can find some pretty clean straight ones. This one cost me about $20 for the wood.
Med_Qtr.jpg

pete

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
If I were to show those two pictures to my wife I can just about guarantee she would prefer the SYP. Do you still have it in use? How is it holding up?

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
If I were to show those two pictures to my wife I can just about guarantee she would prefer the SYP. Do you still have it in use? How is it holding up?

It's in my den and holding up fine.
If you do try this be sure to bring the boards into the shop, stack and sticker them, and let them sit for a while. The boards from the BORG can be pretty wet. The down side is that it will gum up your tools pretty quick but a little soak in whatever blade cleaner you prefer will take care of that.

About SYP: From http://tinytimbers.com/specie_ypine.htm

History
The preferred construction wood of the 19th century, used for everything from clipper ship masts to warehouse timbers to residential flooring. Yellow Pine was the flooring of choice in part due to its hardness and durability. Yellow Pine is the state tree of Alabama, Arkansas, North Carolina,

Southern yellow pine is one of the hardest pines and is recommended for flooring and higher traffic areas.

Main Uses

Southern Yellow Pine represents the least expensive, yet one of the most traditional flooring choices available. Yellow Pine is used for structural timber, structural grade plywood, building construction, boxes, baskets, crates, cooperage, pallets, millwork, woodenware, novelties, boat building, and applications requiring hardness and good wearing qualities.

pete

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I like it. I'm not sure that the joinery is as easy as you imply. There must be a pretty good learning curve to curved work joinery!

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS