Another project completed today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
This is a little short stand I made for my sister today. Can anyone point out the mistake I made during assembly?

The wood is yellow pine that I salvaged when I remodeled the house that I was born it that we now live in. The wood is about 50 years old.

Attachments

• DSC02160.JPG
    DSC02160.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 298

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Splinter said:
Can anyone point out the mistake I made during assembly?

No, not really. The only thing I could see and I don't consider it to be a mistake is that the top could be on upside down. Some folk say that you get less potential for cupping with the curve of the growth rings facing up? I have found that wood will cup anyway I place it, no matter of the orientation of the growth rings :BangHead:
Nice project, now your sister can stand on her soap box with pride.
Please do tell us what you think is the mistake you made, even though you should never point out your own mistakes :eusa_naug

Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Man!!! I swear that I stared at those growth rings 'til I was blue in the face.:bcry: I sorta figured that they should alternate up/down/up on glue-ups. I must admit though that the grain is so pronounced I was getting a little dizzy!:roll: (Don't get me wrong.....I think that that yellow pine is awesome!)

Now. Will you ever tell us what we missed?

Thanks for brain teaser, Splinter!

Wayne

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Cool project looks great. I can't tell that there is an error anywhere. Thats the beaty of woodworking. Most people don't know that there is a flaw unless you tell them.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
If you had ever looked at any of my finished works you'd know better than to ask me if I see a mistake...I can't even see my own let alone someone else's. I looked for something amiss on your stand and realize it looks so good I can't even find a joint!

I hereby declare your project "Mistake-Free". :)

I'll have to admit the color and grain are really nice. Amazing how much warmth you get from old pine!

Chuck

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Ok.. I'm waiting on the "find the mistake" clue. I'm only guessing alternating growth rings, but the middle is sorta hard to tell.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Arcrist said:
Is that far corner flush against the leg?

Yes it is flush. You probably are seeing the darker wood down near the bottom. That's just a streak of dark heart wood.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
clowman said:
Ok.. I'm waiting on the "find the mistake" clue. I'm only guessing alternating growth rings, but the middle is sorta hard to tell.

The middle board is almost quartersawn. Actually I was not to concerned about the growth rings up/down thing. The top is only 15" x 15" I just chose the best side of the boards. The boards are over 50 years old. Were already dressed down to 3/4" and were used behind some tile in the wall of the bathroom of the house I just remodeled. What I referred to as an assembly mistake applies to what most people that I have heard in cabinet making session or read in books say you shouldn't do. It is not very pronounced here in this small piece so if no one guesses it by Friday night I will give the answer.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Splinter said:
This is a little short stand I made for my sister today. Can anyone point out the mistake I made during assembly?

Putty in the board towards the bottom?:eusa_thin :?:

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
I thought the same thing too Travis, but when you're working with recycled wood, stuff like that is no longer a goof but character. I think Splinter likes tormenting us. :lol:

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
As promised.

The cathedral grain on the right side panel should be pointing UP not down. My sister picked up the table today and she was happy, so I am happy. :mrgreen: I didn't point out the cathedral grain direction to her. Her best friend is an interior decorator with a sharp eye, so I will see if see notices it. Since this is a very low table that another small table will sit on and the cathedral grain is not very large no one will probably never notice it but me. On a kitchen cabinet door it would be more obvious.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Man O Man Splinter - Picky, Picky, Picky.:jealous:

I think that you got us on that one!!! I guess we were too busy admiring the grain of that yellow pine and your fine workmanship!!!:eusa_clap

Thanks,

Wayne

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Canuk said:
Man O Man Splinter - Picky, Picky, Picky.:jealous:

I think that you got us on that one!!! I guess we were too busy admiring the grain of that yellow pine and your fine workmanship!!!:eusa_clap

Thanks,

Wayne

It was a fun exercise. Yeh, I love the look of the old yellow pine with just a clear oil finish like Watco. I saved all the wood that was removed during the house remodel if I thought I could make anything out of it later.

Thanks everyone for playing along. :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS