Another particle - dust collection system completed- link added

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
Upload to Tutorial is in review state, I am new and did not realize the procedure.

Here is link to Dropbox : https://www.dropbox.com/s/fa1kltkhi0l2xbk/Pro 2000 Installation.pdf?dl=0

To download from dropbox just click on "Download Button" in upper right of screen or just wait and it should download on the screen.

Hi

I just installed a dust collection system for my shop. I had only one requirement - no particles all over the place when using each machine at the end of a cutting session no matter how long. I do not want to be vacuuming up the place just to use a bench.

This is the third system I have installed (due to moving) since my first one in the mid 70’s. My systems for over 25 years up to this one were all the 4” Sewer type PVC. All worked well but never as well as I would have liked. Mainly the unit in my systems was from the 1978 era from a Grainger catalog. It had 1 1/2 HP motor and 10” impeller all of which sat on 55 gal drum. It had sort of a separator and a small filter bag.

I choose not to automate anything other than the wireless remote for the DC. I had collected all the “stuff” for automating the on/off DC, as well as pneumatic gates ala Alan of Washington, but in the end decided to stay with a basically manual system. I looked over lots of sites, this one especially, for ideas and I freely plagiarized as many as I felt fit my system. I thank all of you for providing me information.

Just a slight divergence here to explain that I am a returning woodworker having spent the last 40 years primarily building models of locomotives, gas engines, etc. Wood working was a primary hobby in the late 60’s and early 70’s but secondary after that. I want to get back into more wood working so the expanded DC system. When I build a model I document it. Lately, with build threads, I use Microsoft Publisher to first type out each installment of thread along with the pictures. That allows me to create a PDF of the entire thread including pictures when it is done.

I installed an Oneida Pro2000 5hp unit with all metal duct work. Five tools were connected permanently to the system - 10” Unisaw, 14” Rockwell Band saw, 6” Powermatic Jointer, 12” Powermatic Planer, (all from the 1970’s) and a 10” Makita sliding miter saw (from 2002). There are three auxiliary ports that can connect to what ever I want ie Drill Press, Shaper, Router Table, sander etc. The Unisaw, Jointer, and Planer are all direct metal connections. The band saw and Shark Guard on the Unisaw used flex tube, and by its nature the Miter saw a “container” so to speak.

This site has lots of technical knowledge on the topic but I only saw a few of was a start to finish on a project. I documented this installation with a 3D shop model, layout drawings of the duct work, and about 34 pages of text and pictures of me putting it together. Included are methods used to attach the duct system to each tool. Attached are a few pictures.

The complete documentation of the installation will be uploaded to the Tutorials Section. This is the first time I am trying uploading the “thread” rather than having a lengthy thread.

The system has only been used in the last several weeks for some minor projects and I am really pleased with the outcome so far, see my Initial System Testing results in the write-up. As I use the system I will update the description with results.

Hope it will contribute to the knowledge of DC systems both on things to do and not to do.

Comments , questions , or clarifications on the installation??

Bob

Attachments

• Installation-Complete-Thread-EM4.jpg
    Installation-Complete-Thread-EM4.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Installation-Complete-Thread-EM3.jpg
    Installation-Complete-Thread-EM3.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Installation-Complete-Thread-EM2.jpg
    Installation-Complete-Thread-EM2.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Installation-Complete-Thread-EM1.jpg
    Installation-Complete-Thread-EM1.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
All

Sorry I messed this up a bit. I should have realized that the site was just not going to directly put up a download product without reviewing it first. I have had two documents on another site sitting since December and they are not up yet.

Bob

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Great looking shop and a really impressive dust collection sytem. Thanks for sharing!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
It appears you put just as much emphasis and detail on your DC system, as your models. It all looks super great Bob. Thanks for the pictures.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
Thanks Bob. I read your entire review. You put a ton of work into that document and I appreciate it. I still need to run my ductwork to my Oneida Smart DC. I'm currently just using a flex hose and dragging it to each machine. My shop has low ceilings so I have a design challenge with it. I have a small shop and every machine is on casters with only one never moved, the table saw. I may run my main trunk line down the base of the floor with feeder lines to machines. Do you see any problem with running the trunk down to the floor from a suction standpoint. Most set ups I've seen have the trunk like yours, going up from the DC to the ceiling. I can't really do that due to my ceiling height and the need to walk upright in my shop :). Ultimately, I'd love to totally remove the DC from my shop and set it up outside, but that is another design challenge (enclosure, angle of ground etc.).

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
Kent

I really see no reason that you should have an issue with running on the floor. There have been some posts on this site of folks running the duct under the floor to each machine. Just keep the duct size sufficient to pass the volume of air at the a good speed. Keep the vertical run from the floor to the DC a min and use long radius curves and I think you should be fine. Keep the total run lengths as short as possible. My guess is your runs will be shorter than mine as I had to go up to a 10' ceiling, so you will likely have less vertical distances than I had. Which size Smart DC did you get?

Start a thread and post some pictures to show your solutions

Bob

Good L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS