Another opportunity to volunteer CANCELLED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Since the beginning of the Outreach program, we've had 3 Train-The-Trainer (TTT) sessions in Liberty and Mooresville, NC. So far we've had 27 volunteers participate, and go on to help w/ one of the Wounded Warrior sessions. That's Great! But we want to give even more members a chance to participate in one of these events. So we're going to have another training session, this time in the Triangle area.

When: Saturday, July 20, starting at 10:00 am.

Where: Ebenezer UMC, just west of I-540 off hwy. 64. (Thanks to bobby g for arranging the use of the church's picnic pavilion.)

What to expect: There will be two key components of the training: familiarization w/ the Outreach trailer and all the equipment used for training sessions; and discussions of what we do at the sessions and general guidelines for working w/ the participants. Rather than clutter up this post, I'll do a follow up in a day or two w/ more specifics of what each component involves.

Now a challenge to those in the Triangle Area! We've heard from some that the TTT sessions in Liberty and Mooresville were just too far away to attend. That's understandable. So now's your chance to attend one in your own back yard. What do you say? :eusa_danc Just think: you could be a part of a motley bunch like this. :gar-Bi

IMG_3241.JPG

Bill[STRIKE][/STRIKE]

Last edited:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Re: Another opportunity to volunteer

In the original post I said I'd follow up w/ more info on what to expect at a TTT session. One of the key elements is getting to know all the equipment on the trailer.

We'll begin by unloading everything and setting it up for use. The tools themselves are pretty straight forward. By now everyone is pretty familiar w/ what a lathe or a scroll saw does; or how a drill press, band saw, sanders, etc. work. But the stands that hold these tools are quite unique, and very special. Phil S designed and built these custom stands to be "user friendly" for anyone, regardless of their physical capabilities. Whether standing or sitting, users will find it easy to work on either the lathe or the scroll saw. So we'll set these tools up and see how to make adjustments to accommodate a wide range of users.

We'll also take a look at all the "small" items on the trailer. It's good to know what is available, and have a general idea of where to find it quickly. We have blanks for scrolling and turning, as well as scroll saw patterns, pen and bottle stopper supplies, and samples of some of the things the participants can make. The actual Wounded Warrior sessions aren't always as organized and coordinated as you might think, so it is good to know what is available, and where you might find it.

Finally, we'll get everything back on the trailer. This is where it get's interesting. We've learned that there is a sequence as to when and where everything can be put in. It helps if one person stays in the trailer to direct traffic, and everyone else feeds items into that person. And though you might not believe it when looking at everything set up for use, it all actually can go back in that little bitty trailer. :tinysmile_tongue_t:

This is the physical part of a TTT session. Next time I'll talk a little about the "mental" part. What to expect; what to do; what not to do; etc.

If you'd like to participate in this session on July 20, please let us know by responding here.

Thank You!

Bill

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

Thanks Ken. If we get enough signed up to hold this class, I would definitely appreciate having you there.

jglord

New User
John

Thanks for holding a TTT close-by. I'd like to attend as a trainee.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

The second key component of the Train-The-Trainer sessions is a general discussion of what we do, what to expect, and some thoughts on working w/ the Wounded Warriors. KenofCary and Berta will be on hand to provide their insights. Each of them has participated in several of the actual sessions, and can share their experiences. This is your chance to ask any question you may have, and participate in a group discussion about the Outreach Program.

So far we only have one person signed up to participate in this session as a trainee. I know a number of people have approached me or Phil about having a training session closer to Raleigh. Well, here it is. Come on down!

Bill

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

With all the wood workers in Raleigh and surrounding area only one is willing to pay it forward by helping teach Wounded Warriors and other folks interested in wood working? Really?

This is the very best time you will ever spend around tools. Can't you give one day to be trained and two or three days a year to help our outreach program?

One of the primary reasons for this web site is education, just sitting at your computer is not enough. Get involved in a real way, get out and help teach. Reach out to others and help promote wood working for future generations to enjoy.

If you don't support our service members then suggest other outreach opportunities. Maybe your Church, Scout troop or homeschool group. Let's fill this class to overflowing!

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan

I am extremely interested, but I have to work that weekend. I will watch for future dates and try to attend.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

I'm going to BUMP this thread a couple of times over the next few weeks just to see if there is any additional interest. Right now we have one person signed up to attend as a participant. Unless we get a few more, we will probably cancel this session.

Let us know if you're interested.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

Last BUMP before we decide to cancel this session. As stated in the previous thread, we have only one person signed up to participate. If you're interested, please let us know. Otherwise, we'll probably cancel it, and possibly reschedule it for a later date.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

Come on folks. This is really fun and rewarding stuff. You get to use the fantastic equipment in the trailer - a portable woodworking shop on wheels. And you get the great sense of reward when you see all the happy faces of the people you helped to have a real sense of accomplishment when they leave our working session having created something with their own hands. And you may have just started someone down the path to becoming another fellow woodworker.

Let's see some interest in becoming a trainer for this worthy cause.

- Ken, who's very happy he's participated in this program and can't get enough of it.

DWSmith

New User
David

Without a doubt, the lack of replies to this thread is sad. I expected more! For all you woodworkers in the Raleigh area, working with the wounded warriors, who risked their lives to protect our freedoms, is fun, educational, rewarding and a terrific way to pay these folks back for their service and sacrifice. They gave their time (years and months), do they not deserve a few hours of our time? You would think that with the number of members we could at least come up with a few who would be willing to donate just a little of their time.

As for myself, I have helped in the past and will continue to volunteer when I can and will be more than happy to open up my shop for future events if asked.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member

I will be traveling back from Asia just before this, but would be interested in participating. Teach me!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

I will take the hit on this, I am behind on getting the next classes in Raleigh firmed up. There is no doubt as soon as that is done, we will have many folks wanting to help. To date we have nine trained trainers in the Triangle, but we need more. We have space reserved in Raleigh for both August and September and again in November. We are still working to determine our student base, either Vets or adolescents, we are not sure yet. For all those wanting to help, invest a short day on July 20 learning how to train and setup all the tooling. You will be paid back in so many ways.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

I want to apologize for being negative in this thread. There's no reason for it and it certainly doesn't help anything.

I think I still harbor some ill feelings about this outreach program and the way I was treated by a former board member.
i was told face to face that the board was impressed with the workshops Bill and I had been doing and that the members of the board had discussed our work and wanted to help us, promote the work we were doing and back us up. Then the next thing I knew this had all been put together, Bill was in charge of the trailer, I was in the dark and nothing was ever mentioned about our workshops again.

I felt like I had been kicked to the curb, slapped in the face and tossed like a dirty rag. I now know it was only that one person and no one else was privy to the situation. I shouldn't have any ill feelings toward the group or the program. I am getting over it.

After being a part of one program and seeing one canceled I have a better appreciation for what was done, even though it was not what I expected. The current crew is doing a great job and I can see great things coming. I wish there was a better flow of plans and information, but people have other things to do. I understand that.

so, there is my apology as best I can do.

DWSmith

New User
David

Since I shot my mouth off maybe I need to offer some explanation for why I did as I did.

In 1970, after I returned back to the USA from my third deployment to Viet Nam, the USA of my youth was gone. There was a group of people who cussed at the returning veterans, called us every nasty name they could think of and spit on us as we walked the streets and in the airports on the way back to NC. We were advised not to wear our uniforms and to not speak of our experiences while in VN. Those long-haired, dope smoking hippy freaks, now known as left leaning liberal anarchists, made a lasting impression on me.

So since then I do all I can to go out of my way to support the troops as I can. When I see anyone in a military uniform I always speak even if it means going out of my way or stopping what I was doing to do so. I support the Wounded Warrior program with my dollars and hope that the little support I have been able to give so far has been useful and worthwhile. These people deserve the respect and support we can give and a few hours isn't too much to ask.

So there is my 2 cents worth. Like it or not that is how I feel. If I have made anyone mad, I am sorry. If I have made you think, then it was worth it.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

Mike, I am sorry. Obviously we were not paying attention. We never intended to introduce the Outreach program at the expense of any other. Quite frankly we need them all, we are at our best when we do things together. I have been to two of your classes and have learned a lot. I am glad to see you having another on August 3rd. The shop crawls, mini workshops, lumber runs, training workshops, luncheons and the Outreach program are all very important, hopefully none will take away from another. Thank you for all you have and continue to do for NCWW.

David, I doubt anybody is mad at you for pointing out that the perceived interest in helping our Wounded Warriors was dimming in the Triangle. When the program first started the majority of the trainers were from the Triangle and the classes were in Fort Bragg. Then the classes moved west and we were thrilled to draw more trainers in those areas, but we were leaving the first trainers out. Now we have planned another train the trainer class close to the Triangle and are surprised at the lack of signup, we should not be. I forgot one very important message, I have not told them when or where they could use their new training - no excuses, just a lot of balls in the air right now. That will be fixed soon.

My final comment - I have noticed every person that has been involved in one of our classes wants to do more - Rick from the Woodworking Source said it best " This just makes you proud to be an American". That is not because we put together a great program, it is still a little rough. It is because Outreach allows us to meet and hopefully help some of the nicest, most deserving young men and women. They will indeed make you proud.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

C A N C E L L E D!

With just three volunteers for this training session, we have decided to cancel it and try again at a later date. Several members indicated Summer was just not a good time for them, so maybe we'll have more success in the Fall.

I want to sincerely thank the three members who did sign up: jglord, Douglas Robinson, and DIYGUY. I hope we'll see each of you at a later session.

And thanks to bobby g for arranging the use of his church's picnic area to hold the training session.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS