Another opportunity to support our troops

Status
Not open for further replies.

jglord

New User
John
Come to the Raleigh Woodcraft store this Saturday, November 11 between 9 am and 6 pm and turn a pen or pens to be sent to men and women serving overseas.

Woodcraft will supply lathes, turning tools, pen blanks, pen kits, packaging and will arrange for shipment through the Freedom Pens Organization.

No experience is necessary, folks will be available to provide and help or instruction as needed. So come on out, have fun and support a great cause.

If you need additional information or have any questions, you can call the store at (919) 781-1911. You may also stop by the store and drop-off pens you have turned to be sent along with the pens turned Saturday.

Press Release for event:

For a third year, the Raleigh Woodcraft store will host a turn-a-thon event during Veteran’s Day Saturday, November 11, 2006 to encourage area residents to make pens for American servicemen and women actively deployed overseas. Handcrafted pens will be sent to thousands of American soldiers after the event as a reminder that people back home remember and appreciate their efforts.
Last year there were 150 pens created in our Woodcraft store that were sent overseas. We want to surpass that number in 2006. There are so many service people deployed around the world and we know they appreciate having a special gift from home.
It’s an honor for our store to support this worthwhile program. We anticipate many local people will again donate their time and talents both before and during the Veteran’s Day weekend event to turn pens in our store and drop off pens they’ve previously completed.
Since the program’s beginning in January of 2004, more than 59,000 customized pens have been created and sent to members of the armed forces on a regular basis. The all-volunteer effort was launched by members of the SawMill Creek Woodworkers Forum as a way to remind troops far from home that they are not alone.
“Each time one of our handmade writing instruments is used by a military person overseas to write a letter home, it’s a symbol of our support --- it clearly says that the people of America care deeply about them,” says Keith Outten, project administrator for the Freedom Pens Project.
Raleigh area residents can visit the Raleigh Woodcraft store any day of the week to drop off pens for the Freedom Pen Project. Store hours are Monday through Wednesday and Friday 9 am – 7 pm, Thursday 9 am – 9 pm, Saturday 9 am – 6 pm, and Sunday 1 pm – 5 pm. The hours for the Veteran’s Day weekend in-store turn-a-thon will be 9 am to 6 pm on Saturday, November 11.
For more information on the Freedom Pens Project, visit www.freedompens.org.

cskipper

Cathy
The Greenville, SC store has the same project on Sat too. I'm turning pens there from 9-12.

jglord

New User
John
Thanks for the update.

This project is supported by many of the Woodcraft stores throughout the country. I don't know the specifics of the other NC stores but encourage folks to contact the store nearest them to check details.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Wish I could be there, but I will be at a Arts & Crafts Show Friday and Saturday trying to sell pens.

George

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
I gotta tell ya. After being a Marine for 8+ years, the troops LOVE to have this kind of support. I take my hat off to you all who are apart of this. I still work with the military, and this stuff DOES matter to them.

Bravo!!
Semper Fi!!

cskipper

Cathy
You joined since we did this, but this group turned and sent over 100 (I think it was 112) pens to the troops in the last couple of weeks. Folks in this group are so supportive of the troops - makes me proud to be among them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS