Another Newbie-------

Status
Not open for further replies.

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
I have known of NCWW for a while just not sure why I didn't join. I am what some would call a novice woodworker.
I am more into the component furniture making thing than turning although I do have a spindle lathe. I have become
fascinated with antique woodworking machines such as the 62' Oliver lathe from early 1900's. What does a man do with a 62'
lathe? Turn pins of course:)
I have been here less than a week and really love the group. Lots of nice people. Wes

MikeH

New User
Mike
Let me be the first to welcome you to NCWW Wes! We're glad to have you and look forward to getting to know you and seeing your work. If you don't know already we love pics. You're probably already aware of this, but our annual picnic is this Saturday at Dan Nichols Park if your free. It's a great event and we would love to have you.

Info about the picnic: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44481&p=407962#post407962

Directions to the picnic: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...s-picnic-location-44433.html?highlight=picnic

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
We welcome to the family. As you know this is a great place with wonderful folks.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Welcome to NCWW, Wes. You're right, no good can come from that spinny, whirlin' vortex machine. :wink_smil

BSHuff

New User
Brian
Welcome aboard!

A 62 FOOT lathe? Turning ships masts? where do you even put something that large?

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
Welcome aboard!

A 62 FOOT lathe? Turning ships masts? where do you even put something that large?

If you go over to OWWM's site you will see photos of it. I believe it auctioned a week or so ago. It was ordered by the government back in the early 1900s. You can also read the history which I learned a lot.
Pay close attention to the step pulley and how the tail stock had to be moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS