Another Newb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Hey everyone,

My name is Matt and I live in Wilmington. I am fairly new to woodworking. My neighbor talked me into making some tables about a year ago, which got me started. The wife has been pleased enough with my crude attempts at woodworking to look the other way when she sees receipts for tools, wood, etc.

I am currently trying to equip my "shop" (aka half the garage). Any advice on a router / table (probably my next purchase) is greatly appreciated!

I'm looking forward to improving my skills enough to help others around here with advice on what works, instead of just telling others what doesn't. Speaking of bad ideas, I have lots of experience there. Just let me know if anyone needs any :mrgreen:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome, we're glad to have you. Wilmington is a great town, my in-laws live there and I visit often. For a router table I suggest making one, and the router to go in it is up to your budget, and what you want to be able to do with it. Steve gave some great advice, or post a new thread giving some more info. and I'm sure you'll get more information than you can shake a stick at. I look forward to your input around here. Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Howdee Matt and welcome to ncwoodworker:)

Are you related to Charlie Willis in Wilmington?

Why Not?
Sapwood

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Hi Matt.. welcome to the boards. I'm also looking for a new router. I've been looking at the Porter Cable 895PK or 893PK. It's comes with a fixed base, and a plunge base, and I just got a catalog from amazon recently that has a mail in rebate for a free D-Handle attachment.

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Thanks for the great welcome. Answering the questions asked of me:

1. I know of plenty of water front land for sale down here. Now, do I know of any affordable water front land? :lol: :lol:

2. As far as I know, I am not an immediate relation to any of the other Willis's in the area. Although, it is nice when I put a crab trap out and have my name on the bouy... Apparently the Willis name carries some weight in the form of hot lead with it.

3. As for a router, I picked one up tonight. I got a Porter Cable 894PK with both the fixed and plunge bases. I will make another post to let everyone know what I think of it once I get it set up (I am on door patrol for trick or treaters tonight, so no playing with my new toy:crybaby2:)

It looks like this forum will be fun...

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome Matt. Great town there. My daughter spent 2 yrs @UNCW before transfering to Alabama. Hope we can meet up sometime:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS