Another new guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad4est

New User
Canuck
I joined this sight a few months back and have been on it most days since. Not only am I new to the site, but I am new to this country as well. I came to Wilmington in April for a one month vacation. And I'm still here. And given that it is getting pretty cold back home in Canada, I think I will stick around. The wheels of the green card aplication process turn slowly, so I decided that I needed something to occupy my time. Any tools I have are back in Canada, and my kids have grown quite atached to them. So I am slowly accumulating "new to me tools" here.

On thing I have learned on this site is that there is an endless supply of experience and knowledge to draw on. I am looking at table saws. Today I looked at the Delta 36-979 left tilt, 1 1/2 hp, with a beismeyer fence. The guy would not tell me what he hoped to get for it. He is taking offers. It has been in a shed collecting dust for a couple of years and has some rust on areas that should be smooth. It seems to run nice and smooth and has a good blade on it. Any suggestions on what that should go for.

Thanks in advance.

Brad

cskipper

Cathy
I'm afraid that I'm no help with your question, but wanted to welcome you to the group and the U.S.!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have no idea of the value, but be sure to check all the motions to see they move easily. I have a Delta table saw that I had to leave in a barn for a few years and the undercarriage was so badly rusted the tilt and rise would not work without some force. I finally had to disassemble the whole thing, clean every part, grease the moving parts and reassemble it. That was nearly ten years ago and it is still working fine, but I was lucky to have time to repair it before it was urgently needed.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Brad!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

I relocated to this fine state from up there too in 1983. Sure don't miss the Canadian winters at all and love the fact that we are just about 2 hours from the beach there Wilmington or foothills in the West. Can't beat it!!!!:icon_thum I am sure you will have family members and close friends will be looking for every imaginable excuse to come and visit you at the beach.:wsmile:

Looking forward to reading some of your future posts and maybe some pictures of your future projects.

Good luck with the green card as it will be here before you know it!

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard......Left the snow country when I was 19......You wont regret it.....good luck on yer tool hunt:eek:ccasion1

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to USA and NCWW. I once lived 12 miles from the US/Canada border in Plattsburh, NY so I can relate. I can't really give you a firm value but I am guessing that saw package was around $700 new. Normal rule of thumb is a good used price would be 1/2 on in this case $350. Since it has not been used for several years and does have some rust an offer between $250 and $300 might be reasonable. I would ask to see the machine running and cut a few pieces of oak or other hard woods.

09woodie22

New User
Gabe
Welcome and enjoy... you are correct about the endless supply of experience and knowledge! And the site is constructed and monitored to insure usability and less interference with participants.

We too moved down from "snow country" in northwest Ohio. My dad used to describe it as 'nine months of good sledding, three months of bad.'

Glad to have you here!

brad4est

New User
Canuck
Thanks for the numbers Scott. I tried all the movements on the saw and everything moved smoothly. I put in my offer, and another offer for the saw and a Ridgid jointer that he is also selling. Now I wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS