Another little cherry table.....

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I just love the looks of the simple cherry table....
Had a tough time with the finish on the top. I thinned some poly and put a few coats on (satin) but it kept leaving lines when it dried... When I tried to level them, 0000 steel wool, then 2000 grit paper, made it cloudy... finally I took a machine polisher and some gel coat polishing compound and that did the trick... a little glossier than I wanted but at least it's clear now...

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

JGregJ

New User
Greg
Looks great. I had similar problems with a table top and water base poly. i sanded most of it off and then used a hand wiped oil based poly.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I too love the look of a simple cherry table - or pretty much anything of cherry.
Nicely done. Glad you got the finishing sorted out. Is this your normal finish routine? Any idea was caused the variance from normal?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I prefer Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish and avoid oil based and water borne poly like a plague. It's easier to apply and easier to repair without removing the entire poly finish used previously.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I too love the look of a simple cherry table - or pretty much anything of cherry.
Nicely done. Glad you got the finishing sorted out. Is this your normal finish routine? Any idea was caused the variance from normal?
Have never used water based poly .....
I have been experimenting a little and tried Chris Schwarz mix of 1/3 blo, 1/3 thinner, and 1/3 poly... wipe on and wipe off. I think I put it on a little too heavy maybe..... anyway since it is a table top I put a few more coats of thinned out poly on the top. It took me quite a few try's to get it built up, then when I tried to smooth it out it got cloudy.
I started with Charles Neil blotch control, but it resulted in a ton of little grey/black spots. Seems you can sometimes get cherry that has a bit of - I think it was iron- and it oxidized... so I had to take some oxallic acid and that got rid of it (bar keepers friend). After that was cleaned up I went to the method Schwarz uses, and then the poly on the top...
Am thinking I will try arm-r-seal next time I need a tabletop protected, see how that works out....

mpeele

michael
User
Finishing conditions could have caused you cloudiness. If humidity is high and finish is fast drying moisture can get trapped in finish.
Finishing materials with flatteners can cause blushing in cherry because of areas where grain will soak up more finish attract more flatteners. If i want a flattened finish I use gloss except for last coat or I'll rub out last coat of gloss with steel wool or high grit sand paper(800 to 1500) with soap or oil lube.
I think multiple coats of flattened film forming finishes leaves a muddy looking finish.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS