Another great score thanks to NCWW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
A few weeks back Gary Conklin (NCTurner) forwarded me a craigslist posting concerning a large tree. Normally I don't do tree removals, because the cost is usually more than the wood is worth. However, in this instance there were a four things that when combined, tilted the scales in favor of the removal.

Item one - the tree was black walnut.
Item two - it was over 38" in diameter!
Item three - the owner did not want any $ for it.
Item four - it had blown over during the recent tornados, and the root ball was still attached. All that I had to do was cut it up and to pile the remaining debris for the owner.

Yesterday fellow NCWW member Philip Crawford arrived at the farm at 6 am, and we headed over to Four Oaks to get the logs. Man, it was hot, but at the end of the day we had loaded one very nice butt log onto the trailer (10'6" x 38" diameter) one nice second log on the trailer (30" diameter with some nice crotchwood on one end), several 2' - 3' crotch sections, a couple of crotchwood bowl blanks, and as a bonus a 37" diameter 8'6" long red oak log! We also carved up half of the root ball to bring back to the farm in order to experiment on milling some gun stock blanks.

Philip got a real workout, and definitely had a lot of opportunity to hone his chainsaw skills. A long, hot day but very worthwhile in the end!

Thank you Gary for giving me the steer on the BW (one of the crotchwood bowl blanks has your name on it), and thank you Philip for all of your hard work!

Scott

Scott_and_Phillip2x.jpg

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Scott, what do you estimate those logs weighed?:eusa_thin What were you pulling the trailer with?:wsmile:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott, what do you estimate those logs weighed?:eusa_thin What were you pulling the trailer with?:wsmile:

Reggie, "A bunch" and my F450...

Seriously, I estimated my combined gross at around 45K (which is what I'm plated for) The big BW was about 5K, the red oak about the same, the smaller BW log around 2.5K, and the root ball and crotchwood sections about another 2.5K.

Plus another 10K for the skid steer and attachments.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Whoa. I'm drooling already! So when will this beautiful wood be ready for a wood run?!?!?!?!?!?!

Great score man!

Trav

NCTurner

New User
Gary
Man that is going to make some nice lumber!:icon_thum Thanks for thinking of me with the CW blank. Oak was a nice bonus too!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Now that's an impressive piece of lumber. First candidate for the solar kiln?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Now that's an impressive piece of lumber. First candidate for the solar kiln?

Nah, I'm going to slip some QSO into it, probably next week.

Black Walnut has some of the most vibrant colors if it is air dried too.

One thing that will be interesting is milling the stump. I know that it's going to cause some damage to the blades (that's one reason why BW root stock gunstock blanks start at close to $200.00 each), but I'm anxious to see if there is some extraordinarily figured wood in the stump.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Whoa. I'm drooling already! So when will this beautiful wood be ready for a wood run?!?!?!?!?!?!

Great score man!

Trav

Probably not for a year or more if you wait for it to dry (green will be available immediately!) I'm thinking about cutting the logs into 10/4 - 12/4 planks, and then air drying them for a couple of years. There will be some nice crotchwood in some of those planks too.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Great score Scott. :eusa_clap You're absolutely right about the color difference between air dried and kiln dried Walnut. I've been hoarding some I air dried about 15 years ago, and it's really beautiful.

Bill

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Scott,

Are you going to power wash the stump/root before milling? That would likely minimize blade damage, though that subterranean wood always seems to have some grit in it.

Very nice haul!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Scott,

Nice score. It seems that the stars were aligned in your favor on this one! :icon_thum

+1 and then some on air-dried BW vs. kiln dried.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Probably not for a year or more if you wait for it to dry (green will be available immediately!) I'm thinking about cutting the logs into 10/4 - 12/4 planks, and then air drying them for a couple of years. There will be some nice crotchwood in some of those planks too.

Scott,

I sent the link to this thread to pop. He wants to know if he can get a walnut slab to match his oak one. Whaddaya think? He's in no hurry, just wants to get his order in early!

Trav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS