Another great NCWW score - thanks to Steve Sanders!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
A couple of weeks ago NCWW member Steve Sanders contacted me about one of his neighbors that had recently lost a large white oak tree in a windstorm.

One thing led to another, and today I made a trip over to Mt. Ulla (just outside of Mooresville and Statesville) to cut up the tree and pick up the logs.

Several firsts were involved. Several months back a small screw vibrated out of my Stihl 066 saw when we were trimming up a large oak log, and the resulting air leak caused the mixture to lean out and burn up the cylinder. Today was the first time that I used the saw after getting it out of the shop with a new big-bore cylinder kit installed, and it really cut fast.

Also, an "old-timers" technique for loading logs onto a trailer is called "par-buckling", and involves using a winch or come-a-long to pull the logs up over the side of the trailer. Last week we built a set of 7' ramps from a 10" I-beam, and today we put them to use for the first time. I already had a Pierce winch mounted on the trailer, so it was just a matter of figuring out how to rig the chains and go to work.

At the end of the day I returned to the farm with some nice, 56" diameter white oak logs. Unfortunately a couple of 36 inchers were left behind due to some internal rot and a really bad crack that occurred when the tree hit the ground.

Another great aspect to the day was that Steve Sanders stopped by and spent the afternoon with us, and brought fellow NCWW member Bill Watson (BWAT) along with him. Steve's wife Penny also dropped by later in the afternoon, and we had a great time solving the problems of the world (well, not the world but we did solve a lot of problems associated with par-buckling large white oak logs!).

Steve thanks much for pulling this together, and also for bringing Bill out today. It was great to see you again as well as to spend some time with Bill.

All in all a great day!

I know, no pix, didn't happen, so here is proof.

NCWW22.JPG

From left to right: NCWW member Steve Sanders, Carlyle Sherril, Esq (log owner), NCWW member Scott Smith, NCWW member Bill Watson (Bwat).

Parbuckling_36_inch_oak.JPG

Parbuckling a 36" oak log up the ramps onto the trailer

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Looks like some excellent lumber in the making! So Scott, what are you going to do when you retire from the woodworking business....build pyramids?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Par-buckling is one heck of a cool way to move logs. Kind of makes you feel like you really did something - hey guys look at me I loaded these 10,000 lb logs on this trailer all by myself :gar-La;

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Hey, I know all of them. They are all first class friends. What a wonderful community we have here. Great post and story, and so little distance from my home. Where was I?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Tracy, it is indeed a great community. You would have fit right in yesterday too.

Just wish that I would have had more "visiting" time with Steve and Bill, and a little less "working" time!

SS

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Good score and very interesting engineering. How much do these logs weigh and what size winch (10,000 lbs.?) do you need attached to the snatch block?

Parbuckling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlIZvCXbXBg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEXF_NM8sNg&feature=related

This guy is from Saxhapaw. I think he's a NCWW too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0T9dz-lvMY&feature=related

How is the set-up rigged and how do you retrieve the steel cable from underneath the logs when they're loaded? Seems like they'd just caught underneath the first log. :dontknow:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Good score and very interesting engineering. How much do these logs weigh and what size winch (10,000 lbs.?) do you need attached to the snatch block?

Parbuckling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlIZvCXbXBg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEXF_NM8sNg&feature=related

This guy is from Saxhapaw. I think he's a NCWW too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0T9dz-lvMY&feature=related

How is the set-up rigged and how do you retrieve the steel cable from underneath the logs when they're loaded? Seems like they'd just caught underneath the first log. :dontknow:

Yup, that's NCWW member Randy (The Woodbutcher), but he's near Charlotte, not Saxpahaw.

The way that I rig my setup minimizes the potential for a log to turn and slide off the ramps while loading. The heaviest of these logs was only 9000 lbs, and my 8000 lb Pierce winch did not have a problem rolling it up the ramp. The Pierce is an industrial, "oil field" winch, and is an extra-heavy duty design and it is rated conservatively. I can double it's winching power by using a snatch-block at the log and hooking the winch cable back into the other snatch block.

I run two chains from the opposite side of the trailer from the log, across the deck and underneath the log. The winch is located on the front of the trailer, and the line runs through a snatch block that is chained to the opposite side of the trailer from the ramps. The winch cable goes over the top of the log and hooks into the pair of chains. This has two benefits, first as the cable is spooled in, it "rolls" the log up the ramp. Second, the pair of chains distribute the load across the log so that it rolls up evenly.

The pix show greater detail. This is a shot of the log on the ramps with the double chains coming up from underneath, and the winch cable coming over the top. The extra chain that you see in the middle is extra slack from where they are coupled together.

chain_rigging.jpg

Here is a shot that shows the rigging of the snatch block. Note that because the cable goes over the top of the log it is helping to roll it up the ramps.

snatch_block_setup.jpg

I use come-a-longs to reposition the log as needed.

bwat

New User
Bill
Thanks for the education Friday! You really know your business and all the tricks of the trade. Next time stay and visit a spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS