Another game of tree identification

njohnston924

New User
Nate
Hi all. I picked up some free wood and have been resawing into planks to start drying out. I'm not sure what species it is though. My thoughts were some kind of hickory or pecan maybe? I don't have pictures of the leaves or fruits. Any help is appreciated!
76F3D972-0BEC-45A0-9A9D-1A5365E68527.jpeg
7310374A-1740-4CC4-B063-B6D9099D1D3C.jpeg

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is some fun grain. But I'm a little clueless as to an exact type of tree.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dan, would you say if it's not soft or punky that it's useable?

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Here is something that comes to mind. The lid is under no stress as it merely slides fore and aft. Cut the pieces for the lid large and see what the wood does. If it remains flat after a rest period, I would use it for the lid only to feature the grain and figure. The rest of the box would be walnut with no figure.

Use it to make unique drawer fronts it the wood is too unstable. Just cut veneer and apply.

njohnston924

New User
Nate
Thanks for the suggestions. That coloring is present throughout the whole piece. Is sap wood more susceptible to rot? It still feels really solid and not spongey

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks for the suggestions. That coloring is present throughout the whole piece. Is sap wood more susceptible to rot? It still feels really solid and not spongey

That's good. Do you know if these pieces were freshly cut or have they been laying around for awhile? Looking more closely at pic 2 the other half of the log doesn't appear to have the white color like the sawn boards that you show.

medic

New User
john
Looking at my tree identification book the bark looks very similare to swamp oak or burr oak Also looked at walnut but do not think it is best guess is a spalded oak as it Looks similar to boards in my wood pile that are stored outside but according to the war dept. i don't know what i am talking about

njohnston924

New User
Nate
I'm not sure how long it had been cut down for but it was laying around in the person's yard and then in my driveway for a few weeks before I got to it

mbromley

New User
Bromley
Carolina Urban Lumber Sawmill just recently posted a picture of some fresh sawn Hackberry over on instagram and it looks almost exactly the same as far as coloring and figure. They are @carolinaurbanlumbersawmill if you want to check out the image, it was posted yesterday 8/5/2019.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS