Another Flip Top Cart

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
My amazing wife surprised me for Christmas with a new DeWalt planer. Upon unboxing I realized it was too big for my old flip top cart so a new one had to be made. This project started out as a basic plywood cart based on the plans from FixThisBuildThat but then scope creep happened and it received a walnut drawer front and then was trimmed in walnut.

IMG_3134.jpg
IMG_3135.jpg
IMG_3136.jpg

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Do you have plans for this and are willing to share them? I have recently acquired these same power tools and need to make a flip top cart.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
This looks like an excellent way to save space. Does it take a large amount of muscle to physically flip the top?

Roy G

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
This looks like an excellent way to save space. Does it take a large amount of muscle to physically flip the top?

Roy G

I was actually surprised how easy it spins because the dewalt planer weighs 92lbs and the rigid sander only weighs 40lbs.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Building a flip cart was one of the most useful things I've made for my shop. I have a lunchbox planer & the ridgid sander on mine. I can flip it one handed if I need to. As long as both tools are in the same ballpark weight-wise, the counterbalance makes it easy to flip.

Do you have plans for this and are willing to share them? I have recently acquired these same power tools and need to make a flip top cart.

Mine is slightly different than NOTW's, but here are the plans I made it from (a very reasonable 5 bucks, and he has a video that goes with it) Fisher's Flip Cart | Fisher's Shop

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Looks amazingly similiar to the one from Woodsmith, of which I made one for SIL. For pivot, I used a piece of 1/2" drill rod, instead of a dowel. Used brass bushings for bearings.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Back in the day Sears offered one of these that held 3 machines. Metal frame on casters; there is one of those at the Habitat Restore in Greenville for around a C-note.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS