Another Firewood Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
The Greenville S.C. CL had an ad for free firewood, so I made arrangements to drive up and get it. I brought home a nice Ram full. :eusa_danc

I had to leave around 16-18 pieces that are about 20 inches dia. and 24 inches long 'cause my candy butt didn't want to hurt my lil self loading them.:no:

I'm going back with the chainsaw and ripping chain and hopefully halve them length ways.
These pics are a poor sample of the pieces that are left, the cut ends of the big pieces show a lot more spalt than this piece.
I'll definitely have lots available, and I'll be asking for advice on how to correctly prep it for blanks.

front.jpg

back.jpg

cutoffs.jpg

EPSN0007.jpg

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Wow Ken - those are going to make some nice turnings for sure = congrats on the fine:icon_thum

Dragon

New User
David
If you know much about Greenville, when I was there last Saturday, on Academy Street between Markley St. and Hudson St. there are several LARGE trunks/logs of oak and walnut lying just off the side of the road that may be freebies. Didn't have my saw with me:BangHead::BangHead: or they would already be NC residents. Grew up there so if you need directions to most anything around those parts let me know.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
WTG,looks like some beautifull figure there,can't wait to see what you make with it. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
If you know much about Greenville, when I was there last Saturday, on Academy Street between Markley St. and Hudson St. there are several LARGE trunks/logs of oak and walnut lying just off the side of the road that may be freebies. Didn't have my saw with me:BangHead::BangHead: or they would already be NC residents. Grew up there so if you need directions to most anything around those parts let me know.

David, I remember reading your post about that, I thought you were talking about Greenville, NC. I wish you'd had my phone number, I would have met you with my chainsaw.

Way to go Ken you did good on that find:icon_thum.Did I see parts for a sawmill there?

Hey Robert,
Yep, I picked up the Granberg small log mill Tuesday, but other than assembling it the rain has kept me from [STRIKE]play[/STRIKE] er, working with it. I'm not complaining tho, we need the rain badly here.
That's what caught my eye!
:gar-La;

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you have some blanks to sell I may be interested. That is, if we can work out some reasonable transport.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Ken,
That is a very nice haul of wood and worth as many trips back as are required tp obtain the rest. I've rolled some very big rounds of wood into my Dodge Ram using boards as ramps. If you can park down hill a little it makes rolling big rounds mush easier. I've rolled rounds into my truck that where 26" in dia. I use a hand truck to move them around, saves your back.
Good Luck,
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS