Another ebay "What's wrong with this picture?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
Just stumbled across another candidate for the "what's wrong with this picture" game. This one is REALLY easy if you know what you're looking at. :eusa_thin

30_1.JPG
bf_1.JPG

The description says: "Stanley No. 78 Rabbit Plane--Made in England"

"It's very clean with no rust. All the parts are in working order, and reads on one side of the body No. 78, MADE IN ENG. On the other side: STANLEY, and on the front is a sticker with MADE IN ENGLAND and STANLEY. The blade also reads STANLEY, MADE IN ENGLAND."

Again, the point here is NOT to be critical of the tool or the seller or the price or whatever. The idea is to provide a starting point for discussion on what to look for in old tools like these.

All you neanderthals out there, give the newbies a chance to take a stab at it!

Last edited:

Phil

New User
Phil Capper
i don't know much about old planes, but, I have several that I inherited that I might like to sell . I can supply pictures if anyone is interested.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
They state all the parts work but it looks like it is missing a fence assembly and maybe a second blade or scoring device in the front throat area. Just my newbie way of thinking.

Thanks for posting it Insom. I look forward to reading all of the responses.:icon_thum

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Looks like FSD gets the prize this time. Here's your prize:

:5grouphug
group hug

From what I can tell in the pics, this plane is missing a couple of important parts - the fence and the depth stop assembly. The tool won't work properly without them. If you saw a plane like this out in the wild, it might look complete, especially if the person selling it says something like "all the parts are in working order" ... they very well may be, but not on THIS plane!!! :lol:

The metal handle is OK. AFAIK these were not made with wooden handles... may be wrong about that, though. The second throat area is not supposed to have a blade in there. The user is supposed to be able to move the blade & lever cap to the front if needed.

I have attached two pictures of what the depth stop (top pic) and fence (bottom pic) should look like. Look closely at that first pic. Just below the depth stop is the spur. This just scores across the endgrain fibers as the plane cuts. Can't tell in the above ebay pics if the spur is there or broken.

If I were tempted to bid on a plane like this, the very first thing I would do is take a look at what Patrick's Blood & Gore has to say about it. You can see from those pics what the plane is supposed look like (although the depth stop is hard to see in those pics). The next thing I would do is find it on this site: OldToolUser's ToolBench. Both of these sites are excellent sources of historical information and sample pics. I refer to them regularly when I'm bidding on ebay. Stumbling across a plane like this in the wild... well, you're going to have to depend on your knowledge base that you gained from studying ebay planes just like we're doing right now!!! :mrgreen:

Anyway, just figured this was a good opportunity to bring up the old "what's wrong with this picture" game again.

Attachments

• DSCN1481.jpg
    DSCN1481.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCN1479.jpg
    DSCN1479.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 250

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Congrats FSD.:icon_thum Insom, thank for adding the additional link. That looks like another informative site.

BTW, do you own the #78 in the second set of photos you posted?

D L

Last edited:

Monty

New User
Monty
Those are pics I stole from another ebay auction a while back... don't tell anyone, OK? ;-)

I try to save GOOD ebay pics like these for future reference.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
insomniac said:
Those are pics I stole from another ebay auction a while back... don't tell anyone, OK? ;-)

I try to save GOOD ebay pics like these for future reference.

Sounds like a good idea.:icon_thum I would like to see how you file all that stuff away. You always seem so quick when it comes to locating key links to interject in to posts or chat sessions.

Thanks,
D L

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
I check the B&G, too, after I posted the response. ;)
I've got the Anant 778 knock off, that has 2 bars, instead
of the Stanley 1 bar assembly for the fence.
Would say that the Record 778 is even better, if you can
find one.

If you have parts missing, like the fence, spur, etc., you
may want to check out HF, as they sells one, might be
useful for parts.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks Insom, appreciate that you are using the forum to "teach" in a novel way.

Looking forward to the next lesson,
Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors